Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 09:16 AM

Default New England Poker Classic

Hey guys,

I busted out 81st in the NEPC. I am a little frustrated by one hand that could have significantly changed my outcome. It was 300/600 with 75 ante. Table is 10 handed and I have 10,000 in chips. A solid tight aggressive player in UTG+1 makes it 2200. Everyone folds to me on the BB and I have 99. The average stack at this point was probably 18,000, but with 10,000 I am not in bad shape with 16 BB's. I figure I have 2 choices, push or fold. If I push it could be a coinflip or a I'm a big dog. If I fold I can find a better spot. If I had less BB's I probably would have pushed, if the raise was from a LAG or late position, I probably would have pushed. But his image and position told me to fold. Should I have pushed and hoped for a coinflip. If I win a flip, I am in a healthy chip situation. I ended up folding, but am really kicking myself today...

Thanks for the help.

Kinger
Old 04-11-2005, 09:25 AM

Default Re: New England Poker Classic

Why not consider stop n go?
Call, and push flop regardless.
If you don't like that line, because an A or K hit the board, you can slow down and still have 8K.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:42 AM

On a stop'n go don't you want scare cards to hit? They stand to be just as scary to the other guy and you have the benefit of being the aggressor. I remember seeing Raymer write about this at some point last summer, but perhaps I messed it up a little.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:17 AM

if you call you'll be left wtih 7.8k (assuming 10k is before the blind) in a 5.5k pot.

how about a line of check-fold an A-high flop and c/r all-in anything else? villain may even talk himself into a call at that point with AK.

i wouldn't be too worried about a K as the only K-hand this "solid tight" player is raising from utg+1 is probably AK (and KK).
Old 04-11-2005, 10:25 AM

Primetime,

After some discussion with others, I agree that the stop n go is exactly what I should have done. My question is, what range of hands would you stop and go with. Would you only do it with middle pairs? What if I had a suited connector, would you stop and go with that? I had a similar situation with slightly more chips with 78 suited on the BB. I called a 3 times the BB bet and the flop came A62 rainbow. No draw for me. I checked, he bet, I folded.

thanks,
kinger