Default Re: Air Force coach\'s racial comments

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No more along the lines of

Trying to present your opinion as fact

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that was what you were doing.

[ QUOTE ]
and changing the subject when confronted with facts that prove you opinion wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadn't previously posted in this thread. So I'd love to know how my opinion had been proven wrong when I hadn't posted my opinion or been involved in any subject which might need changing.

[ QUOTE ]
All of this while maintaining a holy than thou attitude that assumes your vast superiority and the utter stupidity of all those around you

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is easy to do in response to one whose whole argument is that "the media", some nebulous uniform entity, has some sort of agenda - all without substantiation of any type of course.

[ QUOTE ]
based soley on the vigor in which you state your ill-conceived point. Then throw in a Manning insult.

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel free to state how it was ill conceived.

Manning insults will work until he wins a title. And considering McNabb has been to twice the conference championship games and infinitely more super bowls, there's not much Manning fans can do except whine that I'm picking on him. Even Marino got to a super bowl. Manning can't even do that with his stellar performances vs NE the last two years. 4 picks in one game and 3 points in the next. Outstanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like Tony Dungy, and hope that he wins a Super Bowl.

But I love seeing the (well deserved) Peyton-bashing that Clark does.

I'm torn...
Old 11-04-2005, 09:41 AM

I don't understand why everyone hates Peyton Manning. It makes no sense.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Didn\'t work for Larry Summers

Hi
Old 11-04-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see absolutely nothing wrong with these comments. The man speaks the truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're gonna gimmick this, at least get it right. DeBerry said nothing about "breeding" slaves to get big athletic blacks. Jimmy the Greek did.

Worst Gimmick Ever.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jesus.

It has been proven that as a population people of African descent have a higher concentration of fast twitch muscle fibers. On average their hemoglobin works better. It's just a fact.

Read " Taboo: why black athletes dominate sports and why we're afraid to talk about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has anybody else actually read this book? It's terrible! The author jumps to so many conclusions and really reaches with most of his arguments. There is some interesting stuff in the book, but it doesn't prove what people think it proves. I can get specific if anyobody cares.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I looked at the ratio in the tails for a 5% difference in the means, and it was about 3-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you speaking English?
Old 11-06-2005, 01:52 AM

I read and enjoyed it. I'd love to hear your counter-argument, though, since I didn't read with too critical an eye.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:55 AM

One of the several issues I have with the book is that the author talks about how it's the athletes with "West African" ancestry that are dominating sprinting but then he gives no explanation of why not a single person from West Africa has won anything. Not to mention the fact that he doesn't account for the fact that the people he says are of West African descent all have varying amounts of West African ancestry. Some of them are half black for example.

And if it's true, as he claims, that blacks with West African Ancestry have the muscle fibers to jump the best, why don't they dominate the jumping events? The high jump, triple jump, and long jump aren't events that are dominated by black people.

Another problem I have is that he claims that he's proven that "the black athlete" is dominating sports as if all black people share a common gene pool. He himself goes on for pages about how the dominant endurance runners are all from a single village in East Africa. This seems to suggest that it isn't "the black athlete" but rather runners from village X that are the amazing ones. And doesn't this really show that race is a bad indicator of genetic makeup? One group of black people is good at endurance but not sprinting and another group is the opposite. That seems contradictory if we can lump them all into the "black" category.

I'm just not convinced. He basically tells us what we already know: blacks dominate sports. What if I told you that poor people make the best athletes? That would be true since the people that dominate basketball and football disproportionately grew up poor. I'm not saying black people aren't the best athletes, I'm just saying that it's very very far from clear that it's because of genetics.