Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 06:13 PM

Default Drugs

Philosophically, why should one do or not do drugs?
Old 10-24-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Drugs

Freedom of personal choice to do what one wishes with one's body is my personal philosophy.

Does this take into consideration legal drugs or simply illegal ones? If it's only illegal drugs, my standpoint is that the government should not dictate what a person can or cannot do to their own bodies.

Some people use drugs to deeper explore their own consciousness and/or spirituality. What logical argument can anyone make against that? If someone is willing to take the risk to reward ratio and expect a positive outcome, that is their choice. Shamans in South America use Ayahuasca, which leads to an intense hallucinogenic state for hours. They come in contact with gods, ancestors, otherwordly beings, etc. They feel that this brings them a deeper understanding of their universe as a whole. However, their drug causes severe stomach reactions and lays them up for a few days afterward. They know the downsides yet still expect to gain more from their experience than is lost.

Now, as far as Johnny Eightball goes, I still believe it is his own choice whether to use drugs or not. Even if it is simply for selfish enjoyment, it is still his choice. Hopefully (and I may be giving too much credit to people) he understands the risks associated with his drug use and is willing to accept them as a possible consequence. If the user is not endangering others with his actions, I have no problems with it. If the user decides to get behind the wheel of a car or start a fight, it impedes upon the right of others when they are unfairly put in that situation.

If a person can responsibly control himself while under the influence, then it should be his right to use drugs. However, if he shows that he cannot handle himself, he should no longer have the right to use drugs.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:18 PM

Well, different drugs have different purposes.

Opiates and benzos ease pain and anxiety.

Stimulants provide energy and alertness.

Alcohol and marijuana are...well...fun.

Tryptamines and phenethylamines can facilitate insights into creativity and emotion that may be more difficult to arrive at without them.

Different tools for different purposes.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If a person can responsibly control himself while under the influence, then it should be his right to use drugs. However, if he shows that he cannot handle himself, he should no longer have the right to use drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a philosophical question, but a legal one. If the Constitution has an established right of privacy, why isn't drug use protected under that?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:06 AM

Well, the gov't can't bust into your house unless they have a good reason to think you have drugs. A right to privacy does not conflict with the illegality of drugs in a theoretical sense, though the enforcement of this illegality may sometimes violate such a right to privacy.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, the gov't can't bust into your house unless they have a good reason to think you have drugs. A right to privacy does not conflict with the illegality of drugs in a theoretical sense, though the enforcement of this illegality may sometimes violate such a right to privacy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure I understand. If the Supreme Court ruled that any laws against contraception or abortion are void because of this right to privacy, I am not sure how laws against personal drug use aren't voided.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:34 AM

I wish I could give a good answer, but I'd just be making an educated guess and I don't feel like reading through Roe v. Wade right now. For the record, I agree that the drug laws are completely [censored] up.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:02 AM

Default Down the hall, turn right

[ QUOTE ]
QUESTION
Philosophically, why should one do or not do drugs?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
ANSWER
Well, opiates and benzos ease pain and anxiety. Stimulants provide energy and alertness. Alcohol and marijuana are fun. Tryptamines and phenethylamines can facilitate insights into creativity and emotion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you an engineer ?
Old 10-25-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Down the hall, turn right

How is my comment in any wa related to engineering or engineers?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
though the enforcement of this illegality may sometimes violate such a right to privacy.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the illegality in the first place that creates the problems.