Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 06:46 PM

Default 15/30 raising 1st in?

I have just moved to 15/30 full games. After a long time at 5/10 and 10/20 6 max they seem incredibly tight and rather passive post flop.

I refreshed my memory on limping first in (seemingly a hanging offence at 6 max) and proceeded to play.

My first impression is that the tables are so tight that even an EP raise has a decent chance of stealing the blinds and that if anyone actually HAS a hand then an isolation raise is almost certain if I limp.

This encourages me to limp/reraise more of course [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] but also makes limping pretty unattractive on a less than premium hand. I may as well raise to fold the odd hand that is better than mine and steal the blinds to boot.

Have I just hit unusual conditions at this limit or shuld I be open raising if I am going to enter the pot from EP?

Trevor
Old 07-12-2005, 06:49 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: 15/30 raising 1st in?

limping is fine in EP
Old 07-12-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
limping is fine in EP

[/ QUOTE ]

Do it with a wide range of hands, any connectors, any 2 suited. That is standard anyway.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:47 PM

I guess limping is fine, but the following conditions should at least be met somewhat:

a. You are limping in with a wide mixture of hands. And sometimes with the real big hands, that will severely punish the "limp isolators w/position".

b. There is a reasonable chance that the pot will go multiway, with a few players in the game very capable of limping in with some real marginal hands in unraised pots.

c. The chance that the next player entering the pot is raising isn't too high (this will often NOT be the case in tough online ring-games). And the chance of the specific scenario that it comes back to you for two more bets with two other players in the pot should be low.

lars