Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2004, 11:41 AM

Default Medium Suited Connecter in MP

I feel like I played this wrong on so many levels...

First, is my position too early for this hand? Its earlier than I normally play it, but the table had been very loose and passive preflop.

Second, I know that usually it is correct to raise when first in from LP or late MP...How about MP1...and does the fact that it is a suited connector, which wants lots of players, change it? I would think that would override the normal reasons for raising when first in.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1.50.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO (poster) checks, Button folds, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Really didn't want to get raised here, but thought I had to call.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, SB folds.

OK, Top pair, no kicker, but TP is a medium pair against a preflop raiser who bet out on the flop. Granted, he could have been raising with AK, AQ, etc, but I just felt it was too likely I was behind and decided to drop it and wait for the next one. I realize I also had a backdoor flush draw, did I have enough overall to call and see the turn?

Turn: (6.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 12.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12.75 BB, between BB, MP2 and CO.</font>
Old 07-09-2004, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Medium Suited Connecter in MP

looks fine to me, definate fold post flop without 2 clubs showing and a raise from the big blind, you gotta figure with a raise in the blind with 5 limpers the guy has a monster
Old 07-09-2004, 11:54 AM

I don't really have any strong opinion on the pf call. I think it's OK at a loose/passive table but would often fold from EP.

I think a flop raise would be better than a flop fold though. If BB is a typical micro player he may even call the raise and check the turn with an overpair.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:01 PM

I'm not sure if I would have called pf or not. I have trouble with middle position hands. I would have raised on the flop. You might have even driven everyone out but the. If checked to on the turn I'm checking unless another 7 drops.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:11 PM

Well the preflop call is pretty bad in my view...even if the first two called calling would still be close, with two folds there's no way I'm playing this. Not getting the volume needed to play seven high, and out of position, easy fold.
If you play you should raise and hope to fold out the poster but you are way way too early to do that and you don't have any sort of raising hand, so fold preflop.
On to the flop...
This is an absolutely dismal flop fold, about as bad as it gets. First of all you are getting odds to spike two pair or one of your backdoor draws which will be good about 98% of the time, so you should at least call. However more important is that there's a fairly good chance that you are ahead right here, as a preflop raiser will auto-bet the flop after raising, and he could easily have two unpaired high cards, and on this board, it's not too likely that the other players have flopped top pair, as even bad players tend to avoid most hands containing a seven, and you have one of the sevens already. Heck, as a PFR I would bet this flop with AK, thinking I was ahead. So raise this flop and if he doesnt 3-bet your raise, bet all the way as long as no high cards hit. If he does 3-bet your raise or somebody wakes up behind you, you have odds to try to suck out on a big pair by calling on the flop and turn, and make your river decision based on what has hit the board and whether you feel your opponent is capable of 3-betting with AK to try and fold a crappy pair.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:17 PM

With two folds in front of me I think the call is bad, but not horrible. At a loose-passive Party 1/2, I would open-limp T9s from UTG+2 and probably 98s, but I think I muck 87s and lower here.

The flop fold is bad. Even if you are behind you are getting an immediate 11:1 on your call, where any 7 or 6 almost definitely gives you the best hand, and any club gives you a backdoor flush draw. See the turn.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:50 PM

I'm trying to think of exceptions, but I'm going to suggest a new guideline. if you won't limp a hand UTG, you shouldn't openlimp it after two folds. I don't limp 76s UTG. That having been said, I think you folded the best hand on the flop.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:25 PM

I'm usually the one that advocates playing suited connectors early, but I think I muck this one. I really really really hate to open limp in MP with a suited connector.

Raise the flop.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:25 PM

I think you have a good enough shot at the best hand on the flop that you'll want to raise behind the BB, try to isolate him heads-up and see if you can get him to slow down. If he won't back down and you don't get a club or two pair on the turn, then you can consider abandoning ship, although the pot is still pretty big and might be worth a BB drawing to two pair or trips.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:45 PM

Thanks, everyone
I think now preflop I should have folded or raised, probly just folded..I agree I should have raised the flop.