Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 07:54 AM

Default Re: attitude on coinflips

This is an interesting but somewhat confusing discussion. As I see the problem, it depends.

Going all-in on a coin flip has everything to do with context. I hate going all-in in the first 3 rounds. I will do it with a big edge - but in those stages my risk is too great (avoiding the use of EV here as it seems confusing through differing usage).

I am happy to go all-in when I have a large chip lead and the pusher has a small stack. Here losing does not cripple me - but eliminates one more opponent.

Depending on stack size, I often have to accept the possibility of a coin flip towards the end (down to 4 or 5 players) because I am behind and they are goot players who know how to steal blinds. This forum has many posts on when to push in these situations.

So in summary, my own opinion, avoiding flips early - not necessary. Seek flips when you have a big chip advantage or when you have a low stack late against strong players.