Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: NL beginner seeks advice on how to deal with \"trapper\"

In the scenario that you just posted, there is nothing you can do. you got him to put over 80% of his chips in w/ the worst hand. A classic outdraw.

I do agree w/ the previous reply. a bunch of your money will be won or lost w/ the preflop betting, because it seems that that is where he is making the most mistakes.

Furthermore, how loose is your table. What % of players are seeing a flop and for how much. You may be playing too tight. Think of it this way, the more pre flop players there are, the more you need to loosen up. The reason for this is that there is more money in the pot, therefore offering you better pot odds. Dont raise w/ 10/j suited because you are then forced to hit a flop, if you dont, you will likely be bet out of it, and loose more money. these are hands that are great to limp w/ and hope to pick up a juicy pot when the flop hits you hard and to muck it when it doesn't and save yourself a preflop raise. They are gonna call w/ their marginal hand weather you raise or not, so why risk more money w/ your marginal hand?

Last but not least always take implied odds into account. I say this because i know that you said you are from a limit mindset. No limit your odds are as grteat as your opponents stack. Against players who i know cant get off top pair no matter what the board reads, i will chase a flush draw w/ odds as bad as 2 to 1. Sounds like a donk move, but if you hit against a no flodem holdem player. you could get 6 to 7 to 1 on your money by the time the hand is over. That isnt recommended everyt time, but things like this are all ways to vary your play and mix it up like you are trying to do.

Hope this helps!

reply if you have any more questions!