Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: $215s - Controversial AQ Hand

I know you want to keep the pot small, but I still think this is way too weak/tight. I dont like playing not to lose.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:52 PM

How do you get this? Only by looking at this from the river back can you make such a statement. Taken at each betting point, this wasn't optimal play by any stretch. PF, fine, no argument. Checking that flop? No. Turn? Given the play to that point, sure, I guess.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he also avoided having to deal with any hard decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think by betting the flop he'll have both a better idea of where he's at and a better chance to win the pot

LDT
Old 07-21-2005, 02:11 PM

I realize that you were playing this hand trying to reduce the amount of risk you were involved in. With the texture of the flop, both a flush draw and a straight draw possible, I would have made a value bet after the flop to reduce the number of players in the field (something between $50-$100).
Because you never made a bet, I find it more difficult to really know what the SB is betting on. For all I know he has 6 8 and the free card just made his straight.

But ... to each their own. GL
Old 07-21-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For all I know he has 6 8 and the free card just made his straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why hero only calls the river instead of raises.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For all I know he has 6 8 and the free card just made his straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why hero only calls the river instead of raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

But betting the flop still makes sure it is incorrect for the SB to draw.

LDT
Old 07-21-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I can deal with this line because he couldn't very well raise PF. Still, hate playing AQ this weak/tight.

LDT

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this would be a terrible line at the 33's, btw. i think the problem is that here no one will call your pfr with KQ/QJ and then stack off.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this. the problem with this line at the lower buyins is that you arent giving someone the opportunity to pay you off with their top pair good kicker, or even middle pair.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But betting the flop still makes sure it is incorrect for the SB to draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but someone might decide to get frisky with a hand like 76s when the flop checks around that would just fold when Hero bets the flop. Plus this keeps the pot small.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:35 PM

The question I have is about open limping with AQo with stacks this deep from utg+1. You're going to have to play it out of position and likely multiway. If someone raises preflop you have to fold. If you're not willing to raise it to 45 preflop to try to limit the callers are you better off just folding it from utg+1?
Old 07-21-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lost the min

[/ QUOTE ]

probably

[ QUOTE ]
won the max

[/ QUOTE ]

probably not

[ QUOTE ]
and only has a small possibility to get sucked out on

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

This is not to say I dislike this line, because it really is an interesting one to take. I think the pf limp is pretty standard (some may argue otherwise, but meh). The flop is a good line I think, but I do not think you got the best result after your check. I would be much happier if someone in LP bet and it got folded back to me. This is nice because if some check-raising happens in EP then you haven't invested anything. Once it got back to me I would not check raise because he can call with so many hands, you've invested alot of your stack, and many turns are ugly. On many turns (even potentially ugly ones) I would lead for 2/3 or full pot. The reason you can do this on ugly turns is because you don't know what's ugly for you, so you can find out if he raises. If he calls, I check fold, or check call the river, depending on cards, reads and action. Given that it gets checked through on the flop, I don't think you can raise the turn because the SB is betting. You could easily have him beat, but the opposite is true, so I think raising folds worse hands and bloats the pot for better ones. Unfortunately you're letting people behind you draw, but it's for a pretty mediocre / bad price. You can't raise the river obviously, so your call is very good.