Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Best way to get better at pool?

[ QUOTE ]
I think Fast Eddy (why are guys named Eddy nicknamed "Fast") clipped his own wings. He may have had talent, but Fats put it all together--proper rest, clear mind while playing, not going on tilt, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just going to go out on a limb and guess you don't remember/didn't watch the last five minutes of the movie.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:57 PM

I agree, PHJ stunk. I almost cried laughing when I saw Rick Schroeder playing the role of a pro, using a graphite cue.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how much should i expect to spend on a quality cue? is $100-$200 realistic? is there any to be had cheaper?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you take your time shopping for a good deal, you'll be able to find a nice quality cue for $150-200. Look on eBay, there's usually a decent selection of Joss cues and other good production cues. For cheaper, you can pick up a Players or an Action cue. They're not the same quality as Joss, but decent for the money.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:32 PM

the cue really doesn't have to be all that expensive. (super expensive cues get most of their price from decoration.) you would like something with a good balance and a desirable, for you, amount of flexibility. but as a student of the game, far and away the most important thing is to have a decent tip and keep it shaped, roughed, and chalked. a house cue with a cared-for leather tip would be fine.

as far as felt goes, maybe the old felt is worn in some undesirable ways, but (as a sidenote) the best felt is fast felt. you need to be able to get up and down the table easily. so maybe it'll actually be good for you, this old table.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:18 AM

Haven't read any of the other posts, but I'll give you my .02 anyway. The Byrne book is good, but Capelle's Play Your Best Pool is better IMO (he's got seperate books only for 8-ball, 9-ball++ as well, they're great too). I find it easier to read, and it's got bigger/better illustrations. The only thing I think Byrne does better is the chapter on throw, but that's something that you find out searching rec.sports.billiards (it's all gone to crap now, but it used to be good, kinda likk rgp).

Is it so that you haven't got your own cue? GET ONE IMMEDIATELY. It's almost impossible to become a good player without one, you'll need to know exactly how your cue deflects, as well as the weight balance etc. No matter what cue you get put a Moori tip on it. They'll make a regular production cue play great - but more importantly, a good cue with a bad tip is worthless. I'd rather play with a house cue fitted with a moori than a Cognoscenti with a shitty LePro.

If you're going for a mid-end cue, Predators are nice as a production cue. They are very low on deflection, and many players that haven't been around for a long time prefer these because they don't have to learn how to adjust for deflection (as much).

If you're going for a cheaper cue I'd suggest a Joss (Joss East, just do a google search). A couple of hundred bucks gives you a great production cue. The cheap Joss' play just as good as the expensive ones.

After that, pick up a few Accu-Stats videos of professional matches. Just send me a message if you want a few recommendations. You need to watch a lot of pool to understand how to play position. It's not about where you end up, it's how you get there! Everyone can get great position from time to time, but you need to learn to play the proper routes around the table.

If you can, get a few lessons. Fundamentals are king. Without them you will be stuck with mediocraty for ever.

And playing bar boxes might be fun, but the small tables and the heavy cue ball isn't really pool. Take off the training wheels and start playing on 9 footers if you can. When you go back to the bar boxes you won't believe how small they'll feel. It's like going from snooker to 9 footers.

And of course, have fun, practice, never let up on your fundamentals!

Best of luck
Old 07-05-2005, 12:15 AM

I'll try not to sound too discouraging. The way you've just described your pool game basically equates in poker terms to someone who has been playing in his regular home game and coming out marginally ahead. You've just discovered the tip of the iceberg when it comes to pool. If you're really serious about improving, go to the nearest pool hall in your neighborhood and pick up the local billiard publication. Almost every city in the country has one. In it you will find a list of weekly tournaments. Go to these and find out who the best players are and watch them. I'm sure you will discover a whole new world of pool playing. Play in these tournaments. Play as much as possible against better opponents, but play people you can beat as well. Learning how to win when you're supposed to win is just as important as getting better. Don't be afraid to gamble with anyone, but do it cheaply. Understand that competition is one of the best ways to improve quickly.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd love to get good enough to play for cash (i just LIKE gambooling) and hold my own against serious players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing for cash has very little to do with pool playing skill. 90% of the time the money is won or lost before the first shot is hit. Learning how to gamble at pool and learning how to play pool are two completely different things, but if you're willing to invest some money up front, gambling can be an incredible learning tool.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:46 PM

Get your own Cue, as others have suggested. Practie a lot, by yourself, doing drills, as others have suggested. Buy the books others have suggested.

Here's an original one.

Try to find a pool room with a 6x12 foot snooker table. Use full size pocket billiard balls to do drills on sed snooker table. When you start actually playing on a 9' table, you'll never miss.

lf
Old 07-07-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Breaking is a pretty big hole in my game. I think i break the hell out of the rack, but i only seem to pocket a ball about 65-70% of the time, is this not way too low?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say no, but it depends on the table - on a 9 ft. table that would be a great percentage. On an 8 ft. table that's probably quite good. I'd guess avgerage for 7 and 6.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, PHJ stunk. I almost cried laughing when I saw Rick Schroeder playing the role of a pro, using a graphite cue.

[/ QUOTE ]
I still have the tiniest soft spot for this movie becuase it was Rod Steiger's last role and for the classic Walken monologue.

P.S. to MHarris: I totally missed your comment that you play at Comet in the other post. PM me if you ever play there at lunch time.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:45 AM

pool in bars is probably not even considered pool. the balls and pockets are like 10 times as big, becuase when your drunk you suck at everything ten times as much.

i think eightball is at the bottom of the billiard skill ladder (from easiest to hardest):
1.eightball
2.nineball
3.snooker
4.golf
if you notice only really [censored] cool old italian guys play golf, this is a sign of you not being good enough