Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 11:57 PM

Default AA......2 Kings flop

No reads...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB ($228)
UTG ($145.10)
Hero ($297.20)
CO ($67.75)
Button ($196.60)
SB ($80)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, CO calls $6, Button calls $6, SB calls $5, BB calls $4.

Flop: ($30) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, CO folds, Button calls $20, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: ($70) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $35</font>, Button calls $35.

River: ($140) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks

My plan is to fold if villian moves in....Thoughts?
Old 12-10-2005, 12:28 AM

Default Re: AA......2 Kings flop

Seems ok but I'd raise to atleast 7 preflop and bet a bit more on the flop.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems ok but I'd raise to atleast 7 preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I was pretty suprised to get 5-way action. The game was not that loose. I usually open for 3x BB when i'm first in ....I know that's on the small side but so what? I really don't want to blow my opponents off marginal hands and since i feel i'm better on average than most of my opponents why not let them in?

I'm just curious. How did you come up with $7 (3.5bb) as your magical number?
Old 12-10-2005, 01:03 AM

Raise to 7 or 8 PF (preference really), I'd slow down after the flop call especially with that many people to the flop.

Besides Aggie 7 is "the" magical number.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seems ok but I'd raise to atleast 7 preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I was pretty suprised to get 5-way action. The game was not that loose. I usually open for 3x BB when i'm first in ....I know that's on the small side but so what? I really don't want to blow my opponents off marginal hands and since i feel i'm better on average than most of my opponents why not let them in?

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to build big pots with your big hands. 4xbb is pretty standard around here, and 4bb is just as likely to be called as 3bb. People who call $6 never fold for $8.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:16 AM

after the flop action i'm fairly sure your beat already. You had a 5 way pot and a K8K drawless board...what on earth is an opponent calling you here with? An 8? JJ? These are the only reasonable hands you beat and they are unlikely IMHO. Unless the caller is extremely weak or on tilt or something, I would strongly consider check folding the turn...

tom
Old 12-10-2005, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
after the flop action i'm fairly sure your beat already. You had a 5 way pot and a K8K drawless board...what on earth is an opponent calling you here with? An 8? JJ? These are the only reasonable hands you beat and they are unlikely IMHO. Unless the caller is extremely weak or on tilt or something, I would strongly consider check CALLING the turn...

tom

[/ QUOTE ]

many pp try to look you up on the flop, check turn, make em think you have AJ or some weird crap like that

classic wa/wb situation, right? oop though - so i like check-call turn, bet river, fold to a raise
Old 12-10-2005, 01:29 AM

people DO try and look you up on the flop sometimes, but very rarely when you in a 5 person raised pot in which the original raiser fires into a K8K rainbow board. Caller has a K most of the time, especially if he's a decent player.

If you do choose to call the turn I agree with your river plan.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a pot sized raise. Normally I would just open for 8 however, conditions depending of course.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to build big pots with your big hands. 4xbb is pretty standard around here, and 4bb is just as likely to be called as 3bb. People who call $6 never fold for $8.

[/ QUOTE ]

We really are talking about semantics here but I happen to like 3bb...It's true that it's nice to build big pots with your big hands. But it's also true that you should not give away the strength of your hand with the size of your PF raise....And since i'm constantly openraising with relatively weak hands, 4bb can become expensive....It's not just the size of the opening raise but the size of the continuation bet when i brick....I like to play small pot poker until i actually FLOP a big hand.....I think if i had a tighter pre-flop approach 4bb would be better (which is why that is my standard raise in full ring games)