Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 10:57 AM

Default How to act in a cardroom...not in FAQ.

Right now i am basically quiet and emotionless and avoid eye contact (I look at them during my turn but during there turn I stare at the felt) during the hands and pretty quiet but polite when I am not.

I have no problem talking to people but am scared they might find a tell I have one (I don't know if I have them but I usually play online [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] so I am not sure).

I guess what I am wondering is can you make more money by talking and seeming like ur just there to have fun then being a statue, and it is worth it to practice being able to go about normal everyday actions tellless?
Old 10-27-2005, 11:00 AM

Default Re: How to act in a cardroom...not in FAQ.

The statue routine is lame and bad for the game. If you're really worried about tells, get Caro's DVD and don't do the stuff he points out people doing.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I guess what I am wondering is can you make more money by talking and seeming like ur just there to have fun then being a statue, and it is worth it to practice being able to go about normal everyday actions tellless?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's definitely +EV to make the game as fun and as interesting as possible. While I'm personally more animated than most (even during those unfortunate sessions like this past weekend when I somehow book a loss) you'll definitely find that most playing live are there to have fun so helping that along not only will amuse yourself ... but also keep people losing at your table.

Plus, it's just good people skills in general.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 10-27-2005, 11:49 AM

I play all b&m. Right now 5-10 and sometimes 10-20 if available. Be friendly and nice, this is good for the game and for you. Over half your opponents also play blackjack, roulette, slots, etc. Especially slots, which is not very social.

These people see poker game, people laughing some, etc, it looks more enticing than machines. They brought x-dollars to lose unless they get lucky.

But what you are doing is less harmful than many. I have actually gotten into it with other players, HOT Shots, criticizing and whining incesantly. I like to mind my own business but one guy was being such an ass to a sweet older couple who were having fun, he was drinking she was decked in jewelry, and both were playing every hand.

I didn't challenge to a fight or anything, but when he got on them I got on him,,,dont' be a crybaby,,,surprise, life's not fair, wah wah, etc.

Not only did I genuinely enjoy seeing this older couple out having fun together and like them, but that drives peoople away who don't mind losing, they just wanna win some big pots along the way. I teased the old guy incessantly, mock wailed when he beat me and told him great play.

I think the guy knew what was going on, alot of people do, they just don't care. So, think of yourself as a salesman selling the game of poker. Someone compliments my game, I always tell them i'm just a dumbass who got lucky.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:25 PM

I find you can make more money by talking in a game. You can often get tells on your opponents when you are enganging them in conversations. If you are worried about giving away tells, then get caro's book or video. You could even throw in some reverse tells at people.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:39 PM

The advice most people have given you is not inconsistent with what you are doing. You can be friendly and chatty and make the game an enjoyable place for recreational players when you are not involved in pot, but stare straight ahead emotionless while you are playing.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:54 PM

I doubt you will make any more or less money - but you'll have a ton more fun... and job happiness is very important.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The advice most people have given you is not inconsistent with what you are doing. You can be friendly and chatty and make the game an enjoyable place for recreational players when you are not involved in pot, but stare straight ahead emotionless while you are playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I do, especially when playing NL.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:11 PM

Do whatever makes you feel most comfortable and what helps you play better. Don't be rude, but not everybody can be the life of the party.
I also find that when I act friendly others start talking my ear off about the most inane crap, it gets really annoying fast.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:59 PM

what i have found out to be a real good while talking it makes it alot easier to play tight because you are cutting the bordum of folding hands bye talking to a guy next to you,being a regular in a cardroom it happens u see the other guys that u respect when they play a hand those are ussually the guys i talk to

GO WHITE SOX