Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 05:21 PM

Default tournament hand dispute ruling

Long time reader first time poster. A question was called in to me today from friends having a 50 man tourney.
Short summary:

Hero A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero Raised preflop Villain calls

Flop A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets calls all in raise

Turn K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
River J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Money pushed over to villain
hero turns away from table digusted
cards mucked

Next hand starts to be dealt.
Someone notices hand was push and tells hero. Hero wants to get half the pot.

Ruling?

Crackleback
Old 10-22-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: tournament hand dispute ruling

Its a split pot, but usually if the dealer mucks your hand, your hand is mucked and there is nothing you can do about it. You should of held your cards and protested then and there, then you would have gotten a split pot.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:32 PM

From the TDA rules:

[ QUOTE ]
Dealers cannot kill a winning hand that was turned face up and was obviously the winning hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the hand was turned up (which obviously it was), the dealer cannot muck it. I think this is a case of doing what's right despite the fact that the player didn't speak up at the time.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:37 PM

If the hands were both turned face up on the table then the player should have every right to half the pot - this is the dealers mistake and play should be stopped for the tournament director to make a ruling.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:22 PM

Thanks for the info guys.
Unfortunately they called me way too late to make a ruling and the tournament director had already ruled that as the hand was mucked, the chips were already comingled into "winners" stacks and there was no exact way to review hand or determine how many chips were in pot(not really), and next hand was being played the hand stood as it was played.

I think it was just a case of inexperienced players that no one noticed split pot except 1 guy, and that wasn't until the next hand.

By the time I was phoned I wasn't really sure it should be overturned without having cards there and a reasonably accurate chip count. I also felt it wasn't going to fly after several more hands had been played. It would obviously change the way subsequent hands would have been played as the losing player was just sitting out busted for a number of hands. Ruling at table stood. I butted out.

Thanks again
Old 10-23-2005, 03:36 PM

If the ruling is not made immediately, then the hand is dead. You cannot play even 1 more hand and then have him get chips back and return to the field.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it was just a case of inexperienced players that no one noticed split pot except 1 guy, and that wasn't until the next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should work on your board reading. We used to play a game called "what's the nuts?" Game is, someone asks the question out of the blue and then you have to be the first to respond with the right answer. Good times.