Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Preparing for the $10/$20

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Wait, ... are you guy's 100% pro, and could not restart if you busted?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a moral code that says if you take a hit you can't drop back down?

I'm all for playing where you're comfortable, but a lot of this bankroll requirement stuff feels like it exists in this universe where once we move up we sign a contract that dictates that we can't move back down if we feel like it.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:45 PM

Moving down and chopping your earn in at least half sucks big time. Once I make a limit "my standard limit", I really hate myself if I start playing below that.

Right now, $10/20 is my standard limit. While I will ocassionally play in the 20 and 30 games, if I play in a 5/10, I would SCKM.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
have a friend hit you repeatedly in the gut with a baseball bat. if you can deal with it, you are ready for the 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the 10 is like having a friend hit you repeatedly in the gut with a baseball bat, then god, how do you describe the 20?

[/ QUOTE ]

Move 5 inches lower.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Krishan rules.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Moving down and chopping your earn in at least half sucks big time. Once I make a limit "my standard limit", I really hate myself if I start playing below that.

Right now, $10/20 is my standard limit. While I will ocassionally play in the 20 and 30 games, if I play in a 5/10, I would SCKM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the assumption I'm making is that the reason you're moving down is that your "earn" (ignoring rakeback) is in the negative.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Wait, ... are you guy's 100% pro, and could not restart if you busted?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a moral code that says if you take a hit you can't drop back down?

I'm all for playing where you're comfortable, but a lot of this bankroll requirement stuff feels like it exists in this universe where once we move up we sign a contract that dictates that we can't move back down if we feel like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you share my thoughts on this issue.

Firistly, if I was to lose $6000 at $10/$20, I'd want to move down for a bit - to rebuild my bankroll, confidence, and psychological status.

Secondly, *FOR SOME* it seems that retaining an extra $10K is a bit of an opportunity cost for other stable investment options.

Adam
Old 09-25-2005, 08:49 PM

I wouldn't have made a limit "my regular limit" unless I was comfortable enough that I'm a long term winner. Even if my short term earn is negative because I'm running bad, I feel confident, that I'm still earning much more at the $10/20 long term than the $5/10.

So, yes, my short-term earn may be negative... but I know I'm beating the $10/20 for a good clip and there's no reason to step back in a downswing except to cut my "theoretical earn" in half.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't have made a limit "my regular limit" unless I was comfortable enough that I'm a long term winner. Even if my short term earn is negative because I'm running bad, I feel confident, that I'm still earning much more at the $10/20 long term than the $5/10.

So, yes, my short-term earn may be negative... but I know I'm beating the $10/20 for a good clip and there's no reason to step back in a downswing except to cut my "theoretical earn" in half.

[/ QUOTE ]

This assumes you're not tilting, not affected psychologically by the swings, and still maintaining proper aggression .... yadda.

Adam
Old 09-25-2005, 08:53 PM

Well, at some point you have to step down to avoid variance just busting you, if you're in bob's spot of living off your roll. I do get your point, I'm not saying step down at the first sign of evil, and I know from personal experience how demoralizing it can be.

(there's a side argument about how defining yourself by the limit you play and staying fixed within that is goofy, but it's a argument that Ray Zee has made way better than I ever could).
Old 09-25-2005, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$10/20 will test your ability to also handle swings in the thousands of dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really the most important point. I know adam disagrees, but I would seriously not play the 10 without a bankroll of at least $20k.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, at some point you have to step down to avoid variance just busting you, if you're in bob's spot of living off your roll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not a pro and I have almost $20,000 for $10/20 6-max, but i'd hope a professional would have at least that, having any less may be asking for trouble.