Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When did you lose your virginity
22 4 2.23%
24+ (loser) 12 6.70%
23 7 3.91%
20 15 8.38%
21 19 10.61%
18 21 11.73%
19 32 17.88%
14 4 2.23%
15 15 8.38%
16 21 11.73%
17 21 11.73%
Under 12 (liar) 3 1.68%
12 1 0.56%
13 4 2.23%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2004, 02:33 PM

Default Quick Preflop check

10-handed somewhat tough $20-$40 game. Most pots are 2-3 way for 2-3 bets preflop.

It's folded to MP (likely a winning player, he is generally tight aggressive), he open raises, you're next to act.

what do you do with the following hands, and why?
Old 12-06-2004, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Quick Preflop check

I am pretty sure that I would fold all three of these hands in this situtation. All 3 hands are at the bottom of my raising sprectrum, and a tight aggresive player surely has me dominated. I would possibly call, if the table was very loose, and I could expect 3+ more players coming in for the flop.

I would love for somebody to 3-bet my raise with 99 on a regular basis here....
Old 12-06-2004, 03:27 PM

At least some information about how MP plays postflop is necessary to make an intelligent decision. As is a better description of what you mean by "tight aggressive" -- aggro preflop and postflop? how "tight" is "tight" after 3 or 4 folds?
Old 12-06-2004, 03:40 PM

Right. He has probably lowered his raising requirements a little bit as he is aware of position, stealing the blinds, etc... but in general he is very tight preflop.

A legitimate raise from him basically means AA-TT, AK, maybe AQ. Now he probably adds a few hands when it gets folded to him in MP.

Postflop, he is not too tricky. He will not chase longshot draws, and generally he will need top pair, or a good draw to continue. A raise at any time from him means a big hand, he does not usually pump his draws. I could comfortable fold one pair to a turn or river checkraise.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A legitimate raise from him basically means AA-TT, AK, maybe AQ

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's this predictable then the right move is obvious. I can't say that I've ever run into anyone quite that tight though.

btw -- as an addendum to my previous e-mail -- your decision (when you have one, i.e., when you're playing against less of a rock) will also depend on what the players left to act after you are like.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:51 PM

Wish you'd told me that before..in that case its easy fold, fold, fold. I'd even fold AQo...I like to get heads up with the live ones.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Right. He has probably lowered his raising requirements a little bit as he is aware of position, stealing the blinds, etc... but in general he is very tight preflop.

A legitimate raise from him basically means AA-TT, AK, maybe AQ. Now he probably adds a few hands when it gets folded to him in MP.

Postflop, he is not too tricky. He will not chase longshot draws, and generally he will need top pair, or a good draw to continue. A raise at any time from him means a big hand, he does not usually pump his draws. I could comfortable fold one pair to a turn or river checkraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should have included this in the poll post
Old 12-06-2004, 07:11 PM

Default lol who is folding 99

u gotta be kidding me, right??
Old 12-06-2004, 07:13 PM

Default u think u guys are too tight

+ mp includes right b4 cutoff right? well i consider that mp, and i would probably 3bet all of em if he raised right b4 co
Old 12-06-2004, 07:25 PM

Default AHA...now we are getting somewhere

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i voted call call raise.

i think if its heads up fine b/c i have position and if he's tight aggressive then those calls should scare him a lot and i know where i am...after your description in this post above i am now sure i want to play more hands with him as he is NOT tricky, WILL NOT continue without top pair/overpair and WILL fold to my bets and raises ALOT!...you should be playing more hands against people who show their cards like this, not fewer.

however, if he ONLY raises those top top pairs/hands no matter what position he is in then folding is clearly correct as you are at too much of a disadvantage to continue...

HOWEVER, you make up ALOT postflop by being able to get away cheap and take pots when he lets you because of his predictability...this assumes he widens his standards slightly when folded to him.

-Barron