Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2004, 10:29 AM

Default Party vs Stars

I hear all the time that Stars has this reputation of the losing hand winning (riverStars?), and it sure seems that way to me. (Lost last night with KK vs QQ and then AA vs 77 in $10 rebuy, but this is not a bad beat email).

I've had this situation present itself over and over on Stars. I had 3 all-ins preflop last night and lost all 3. I folded 77 to a decent raise preflop, and would have rivered a 7 if I had stayed. Is this a Stars pheonemenon? Or is it just poker? For those of you who play on Party, do you have the same complaints?

The night before, I was playing a $50 buyin game, and was rivered in my last 3 all-ins. It just seems you have to have the weaker hand to win on Stars.

I'm considering cashing out of Stars and playing tourneys on Party. I'm soooo frustrated.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Party vs Stars

so it is a bad beat post.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:47 AM

I hope this is a frustrated joke.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:59 AM

Default i feel your pain but don\'t expect any sympathy from others

[ QUOTE ]
I hear all the time that Stars has this reputation of the losing hand winning (riverStars?), and it sure seems that way to me. (Lost last night with KK vs QQ and then AA vs 77 in $10 rebuy, but this is not a bad beat email).

I've had this situation present itself over and over on Stars. I had 3 all-ins preflop last night and lost all 3. I folded 77 to a decent raise preflop, and would have rivered a 7 if I had stayed. Is this a Stars pheonemenon? Or is it just poker? For those of you who play on Party, do you have the same complaints?

The night before, I was playing a $50 buyin game, and was rivered in my last 3 all-ins. It just seems you have to have the weaker hand to win on Stars.

I'm considering cashing out of Stars and playing tourneys on Party. I'm soooo frustrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

bruh, i'm a Stars player too and it's happened to me many, many times. i play mostly $5 and $6 SNGs and some MTTs. i can recall several hands where i got rivered on the MISSISSIPPI. Q Q against 6 5o where the player caught his str8 card on the river (he called my reraise of another player that was already all-in preflop), A J against J 10 where the player caught a 10 on the river for two pair (he called a raise preflop and a checkraise of the turn with the worse hand), A A against 10 10 (player was dealt a 8 to Queen str8 on the river), A J all-in against 5 6o (chipleader caught a 5 on the river), trip Kings against 3 6 suited (guy called a my preflop raise behind about three other callers and caught a flush on the river), A K (two pair on the flop) against 6 6 where the player caught trips on the river, etc. these are just a few. i've had numerous finishes on the bubble of ITM in SNGs where these scenarios happened. you're definitely not alone but it does'nt matter.
one thing i've learned is no matter how many times you lose on the river to a inferior hand, nobody's gonna care except you. all you likely to get from others is, "Suck it up, it's poker", "All you can do is get your money in with the best hand", or my personal favorite, "Be thankful for these types of plays, because you're win in the long run".
Old 07-12-2004, 11:18 AM

Not a joke. Party players please respond. Is there the same idea on Party that the worst hand wins more often?

I don't think my cat can take another kick across the room. (j/k, don't even have a cat, and it's a good thing I don't).

gc
Old 07-12-2004, 11:20 AM

gc,

I'm still surprised that this is a serious questions, but I guess I'll give a serious answer.

No.

Like any other poker, there are bad beats. Hell, I took two bad beats this weekend that booted me outta 50+5's both times. It happens.

But I would not say that there is the perception that the worst hand wins often.

That said, I think the tourney competition at Party is softer than stars. How about that?

Nick
Old 07-12-2004, 11:36 AM

I think the blind structure + starting chips is a little better for tourneys at Stars, compared to Party.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:39 AM

Nick,

Thanks for your reply. OK, I'll stop with this rave, and try to suck it up.

gc
Old 07-12-2004, 11:42 AM

the biggest thing is that when your KK holds up and beats QQ (or whatever) you instantly forget about it. also, QQ beats KK about 19%, so it shouldn't be amazing shock when it happens.

as for the two sites, party certainly has a reputation for being soft in general, but i agree with the earlier poster that the blind structure is better on stars. in stars the stacks are big enough relative to the blinds that you're not forced to get all-in before the flop early in the tournament. also, i think the stars $10 rebuy has one of the best structures in terms of fee: it's 10+1, but if you insta-rebuy and add-on, it's 30+1, and with a few rebuys you can be playing 60+1. if you're playing the lower buy-in, stars runs 5+0.50 while party has 5+1.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:42 AM

To answer your question seriously, players on Party also think they take far too many bad beats, and the same is probably true on every other online site, and in every B&M cardroom around the world. How many players do you know who don't feel like they absorb more than their fair share of bad beats? Take two Mike Caro affirmations and call me in the morning.

Last night in the Stars rebuy I went all-in with QQ against 99 and a short-stacked A7o. What made the situation particularly cute is that I somehow managed to lose to BOTH hands. I just laughed and went to bed. In a tournament of this size, literally hundreds of people are going to bed with a bad beat story. You'll never find a site where it's any different.