Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Is there a time to play mid suited connectors?

The reason that it's not as bad to limp small pp is that if you hit your set you know that you're pretty much ahead in the hand. Suited connectors on the other hand aren't going to flop a flush/straight. So you get a draw and might have to bleed a few more chips to see if it comes in.

With all that said I will sometimes limp suited connectors in late position, but rarely Ax suited.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
downtown & 45suited,

I understand your reasoning but your stance sounds like you advise never (or rarely ever) to limp with speculative hands. Does this apply to small pairs, A-x suited as well in STTs?

Seeing a limped flop with 5 other players can't be that bad with these hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll limp small pairs, I won't limp Ax suited. Small pairs will connect with the flop far more often than two suited cards will, and when I miss my set I can fold easily only having lost 15 chips into a multiway pot, whereas with Ax suited I might feel compelled to make a move or chase when 2 of my flush cards come out. Just my personal approach that has worked pretty well. You might want to take a look at Beating the Party 10+1, Part 2, it's where my strategy started for the 10+1 SNGs, and has some decent starting suggestions that aren't absolutlely 100% everywhere, but will get you on the right track.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:44 PM

I like using 89s and up as positional raise hands. This really steams the blinds when they call and try popping a low flop because they put you on overcards :-) You have to have a good read on the board and hope the board thinks they have a good read on you. This is rarely ever the case in SNL's but the occassion does arise at times.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:21 PM

I think they are very easy to play. Now the question is if they are profitable? I haven't really done an analysis. If I have some extra time I'll go through my PT stats and see how I do with them in level 1-2 (which is tedious since most of them are folds no matter what).

Fun suited connector hand I played earlier.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (5 handed) converter

Hero (t1620)
BB (t1280)
UTG (t2435)
MP (t1765)
Button (t900)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t90) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t225</font>, Hero goes all-in 1620, BB calls 1620, MP calls t1280.

Turn: (t4520) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: (t4520) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: t4520

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 9h 8h (flush, ten high).
BB has 6h 2c (flush, ten high).
MP has Ad 2s (straight, five high).
Outcome: Hero wins t4520. </font>
Old 09-09-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Suited connectors on the other hand aren't going to flop a flush/straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t90) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh, would ya look at that?

Oh, and suited connectors can also flop 2 pair or even sometimes (gasp) a full house!
Old 09-09-2005, 06:46 PM

i play them in the first 2 rounds if i can get in cheaply