Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Cheap dinners that actually pwn

[ QUOTE ]
Kraft mac and cheese with hot dogs is the bomb. Or substitute a can of tuna....yummy!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of my favorite lunches ... Easy mac with a can of tuna mixed in.

Another thing my wife and I do a lot ... Mini-pizzas using pocket-less pita bread. Takes maybe 8 minutes tops.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's not chilli, that's a sloppy joe.

[/ QUOTE ]

That in no way resembles chili.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the worst "chili" recipe I've ever heard or could ever imagine. The green pepper was the only good touch.

Hard to believe that after two cans of tomato soup mention is made of adding even MORE salt.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:42 PM

Chicken Mushroom Wild Rice

Mix a box of Uncle Ben's original wild rice, 2 cups water, can of mushrooms, can of cream of mushroom soup, and 2-4 bonless/skinless chicken breasts in a casserole dish and cook it at 350 for 45-60 mins.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In the ramen w/ category, I'll pretty frequently make ramen, ditch the spice packet, and add chili powder, dried basil, a little hot sauce, soy sauce and broccoli. Pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another good Ramen noodle lunch is throw a package of Ramen noodles in a tupperware container, add some cheese, a can of tomatoes (green chile ones work best) and a can of beans. Let it sit in the fridge until lunch. Microwave it for a minute or two. Filling and tastes good.

[ QUOTE ]
In the less cheap/less easy category, I find that couscous (pretty damn cheap in bulk) can be pretty good if you have some stuff to put in it (using a cooking fluid other than water does good things, too.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Couscous works well in the above "recipe." It also works well as a meat additive in Chilli. I usually use half the called for ground beef in CHilli and at couscous and I think it tastes better then an all beef mix.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we're talking Ramen, I think we're quickly getting away from the "meals that PWN" concept.

That said, here's how I dress up mine.

Simplest step, and adds protein and flavor and texture to the broth: when it's all prepared, crack one egg per pack(I usually eat two packs at a time) into the soup and whisk it VERY quickly with a fork. You don't want a boiled egg! You want a thicker, more satisfying broth. Even with two eggs, it won't taste particularly "eggy," just richer.

Also, I usually have a few packages of frozen mixed vegetables in the freezer. The ones with peas, carrots, and usually some kinds of beans. I hate lima beans, but strangely enough lima beans are excellent in ramen, so the ones that have those in there are fine. Throw in anywhere from a 1/4 lb. to a full pound of frozen mixed vegetables -- of whatever kind you like, I suppose -- in per meal.

And finally, tofu. Tofu is a perfect protein. It doesn't really taste like anything, but adds a great deal of nutrition to a meal that basically has none.

I've also added chopped sausage or hotdogs.

My favorite super-easy ramen uses two packets, for a very big meal, and is as follows:

Boil a handful of cubed tofu and at least half a pound of frozen veggies in enough water for your whole soup dish. Then add the noodles and boil till done. Add only one of the flavoring packets, plus soy sauce to taste. Add a tablespoon or two of sesame oil and stir well. Whisk in one egg very quickly until there's no trace of it(don't let them scramble!), then another. To really pamper yourself, add some thinly sliced raw green onions or shallots for some nice tang and fresh crunch.

If you're making only one pack of ramen noodles, use only one egg, and cut back the rest of the ingredients accordingly.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we're talking Ramen, I think we're quickly getting away from the "meals that PWN" concept.

That said, here's how I dress up mine.

Simplest step, and adds protein and flavor and texture to the broth: when it's all prepared, crack one egg per pack(I usually eat two packs at a time) into the soup and whisk it VERY quickly with a fork. You don't want a boiled egg! You want a thicker, more satisfying broth. Even with two eggs, it won't taste particularly "eggy," just richer.

Also, I usually have a few packages of frozen mixed vegetables in the freezer. The ones with peas, carrots, and usually some kinds of beans. I hate lima beans, but strangely enough lima beans are excellent in ramen, so the ones that have those in there are fine. Throw in anywhere from a 1/4 lb. to a full pound of frozen mixed vegetables -- of whatever kind you like, I suppose -- in per meal.

And finally, tofu. Tofu is a perfect protein. It doesn't really taste like anything, but adds a great deal of nutrition to a meal that basically has none.

I've also added chopped sausage or hotdogs.

My favorite super-easy ramen uses two packets, for a very big meal, and is as follows:

Boil a handful of cubed tofu and at least half a pound of frozen veggies in enough water for your whole soup dish. Then add the noodles and boil till done. Add only one of the flavoring packets, plus soy sauce to taste. Add a tablespoon or two of sesame oil and stir well. Whisk in one egg very quickly until there's no trace of it(don't let them scramble!), then another. To really pamper yourself, add some thinly sliced raw green onions or shallots for some nice tang and fresh crunch.

If you're making only one pack of ramen noodles, use only one egg, and cut back the rest of the ingredients accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard of the egg or thought of the tofu, but the I like both ideas a lot.

GoT
Old 08-31-2005, 01:46 PM

Is this thread your way of saying you tried to move up and got crushed?
Old 08-31-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

evoo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using Rachel Ray's annoying abbreviations is weak sauce.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think Ming Tsai says it as one word. iirc, Rachael Ray says it as an acronym "E-V-O-O"
Old 08-31-2005, 01:48 PM

Pour some E-V-O-O all over me, baby
Old 08-31-2005, 01:50 PM

TJ's
trader joes has a lot of quick frozen stuff that tastes really good. the orange chicken (pan fried rather than baked) pwns. makes panda express look like crap. the pork potstickers are really good, as well. if you like thai curry, the green curry sauce is great. just sautee some onions, peppers, chicken and whatever, then pour the whole bottle over the stuff and simmer for a few minutes.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:14 PM

I make a pasta salad thats cheap and easy and tastes great

just add tuna, onions, peppers, mayo, salt and pepper and whatever other seasonings u like...Its a nice change of pace if you happen to eat a lot of pasta like me