Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 01:14 AM

Default PL25 O/8

Hey.

You've got Q987 with two diamonds, in the BB.

UTG mini-raises, and four others cold call. You would
like your hand better for high-only, but given that
you close out the action it seems to be worth another
25 cents.

Flop comes J76 rainbow. It checks around.

Turn is a T, completing the rainbow. You have the
current nuts, but the only 'safe' card is an 8. Any
other card could cost at least 1/2 the pot.

What is your plan here if you are deep stack?
What if you are short stack?
Opponents have $10-$60 in front, raiser PF has you
covered.

Your move.

Thanks, mosquito.......
Old 06-08-2005, 01:42 AM

Default Re: PL25 O/8

Bet the pot on both and expect to take it down the majority of the time. Its a decent size pot that checked around on the flop I think anything but a pot bet is bad.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:56 PM

At $25 PLO8, I would bet the pot. I would expect to be called in at least 2 places. I would then bet any low card on the river.

Yes you are only getting half the pot, but it will probably be a big half.

If a face card falls, I would feel comfortable shutting down. However I would consider calling a mini-bet on the river.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:32 PM

My first instinct is to bet the POT! No hands initially have odds to call a pot-bet on the turn there by themselves-- obviously that changes after the first caller. You are betting to chase not for value. Hopefully if one calls, multiple players call, and a low card comes. But, if a hi card comes I think you have to lead out for almost half the pot and then be prepared to fold to a raise. Realistically, the most probable caller for high does not have 2 pair or Trips (both of which would not have checked the flop) it is the player with AKQX (hopefully x is NOT and 8) that could still be lurking and might make that call-- especially if someone fishes for the low.

This method makes you $2.50 if everyone folds, potentially loses you at least $3.50 if a high card comes, and half of who knows what if a low card comes-- because you may only get one low caller for a pot-sized bet.

However, an argument can be made for a half pot bet at this limit where you are probably going to get more than one caller (low draws). If a low card comes on the river you play for the check raise and hope for more than one nut low, a pot sized bet and caller in front of you.

This method probably gets you nothing up front (because no way everyone folds) increases your contribution to the pot to $2 (which you can walk away from if a scary hi card comes) But if a low card comes, now you probably net anything from a minumum of $2.50 (if everyone checks it around) up to $15 if you get a big threeway pot.

So in retrospect, I think the smaller bet is better.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:09 AM

I would still fold preflop because that hand is terrible, and you have the worst position on the table.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:33 AM

Ideally, you should have folded pre-flop with that hand. However, on very loose tables with players who are horrible post-flop, I've called with hands much worse than that.

The correct play in the situation you described is a pot-sized bet. A smaller bet would show weakness, and you would likely get a few callers as a result. A check would keep everyone in the pot, and then if a scare card appears on the river, you'd have to fold.

You make the pot-sized bet and hope that you can scoop right there. If someone calls, and a card that still gives you the nut-high appears on the river, you make another pot-sized bet and hope that your opponent was a fish chasing a boat or an inside straight.