Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-31-2005, 04:35 PM

Default need help on (failed) all-in calls against draws

I'm a new poster and relatively new player so please excuse any "dumb" stuff.
Twice yesterday I busted out of tourneys early on very similar situations and I don't know if I played them right or anywhere close to right. Both involve an all suited flop.
First one_early in SnG, I'm middle position and get 5,5. Blinds are 10,15 and I raise it to 65 all fold to BB who calls. Flop is 5,6,7 spades he checks, I bet pot and he raises me the same amount which I call. turn is 3h which he checks, I bet, and he raises all in. The mistake I assume is I call it and he shows As,7 and a spade comes on the river to beat me.

Second one, multi table early on I get Q,Q in middle position and raise 4xBB, all fold to SB who calls. Flop 3 low clubs, he checks, I bet 2x pot, he reraises all in and I call (dumb?) he shows Ah,5c and turn is club, I lose.

Now my main questions are, was I an idiot to call the huge bets on the all suited flop? As it turns out I was correct that they didn't have the flush and in my limited understanding of odds, at the flop in both cases I was the (clear) favorite. So the other question, were they right to push in those situations or was it a poor play on their parts? (It was early on so we were close in stack size). I am frustrated because I was all in as the favorite (which I know you still lose plenty of just hurt because it was back to back tourneys) but do I have to fold that anyway?

Sorry if any pertinent info is missing and thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:05 PM

Default Re: need help on (failed) all-in calls against draws

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a new poster and relatively new player so please excuse any "dumb" stuff.
Twice yesterday I busted out of tourneys early on very similar situations and I don't know if I played them right or anywhere close to right. Both involve an all suited flop.
First one_early in SnG, I'm middle position and get 5,5. Blinds are 10,15 and I raise it to 65 all fold to BB who calls. Flop is 5,6,7 spades he checks, I bet pot and he raises me the same amount which I call. turn is 3h which he checks, I bet, and he raises all in. The mistake I assume is I call it and he shows As,7 and a spade comes on the river to beat me.

Second one, multi table early on I get Q,Q in middle position and raise 4xBB, all fold to SB who calls. Flop 3 low clubs, he checks, I bet 2x pot, he reraises all in and I call (dumb?) he shows Ah,5c and turn is club, I lose.

Now my main questions are, was I an idiot to call the huge bets on the all suited flop? As it turns out I was correct that they didn't have the flush and in my limited understanding of odds, at the flop in both cases I was the (clear) favorite. So the other question, were they right to push in those situations or was it a poor play on their parts? (It was early on so we were close in stack size). I am frustrated because I was all in as the favorite (which I know you still lose plenty of just hurt because it was back to back tourneys) but do I have to fold that anyway?

Sorry if any pertinent info is missing and thanks in advance for any feedback.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the forums. For future posts dont show us the results.

I am gonna give you my way i play these hands.

1st hand:
I think you are overbetting 55s.. I limp 40% and 60% raise to the regular 3xbb.

THe flop is horrible for you. Here I would actully overbet the pot to drive out A high flush draws and try to take it down here. I would most likely push on his CR putting him on either Ax flush draw, 2 pair or straight draws.

I would fold the turn to the reraise

2 hand
About the same way I play it. Most of the time the allin means a flush draw, rarely a made flush goes all in here.

If your all in call was correct then the rest does not really matter
Old 12-31-2005, 10:18 PM

Default Re: need help on (failed) all-in calls against draws

Welcome, Kirk.

First, try to use the hand converter - narratives are harder to follow.

Second, you got your money in when you were ahead, and the villains drew out on you. Cards happen.

As for the specific hands:

Hand 1: This early, limp with 55 and play for set value. Raising won't chase enough people to make it profitable, and most of the time you'll have nothing but a weak pair. Monotone flops you gotta play carefully. You bet pot (probably more you need - a smaller bet will fold out most folks without a spade). The min raise is either "I'm on a draw and would like you to give me a free river by checking the turn" or "I got the nuts! I got the nuts!". I actually like the way you played it, calling the min-raise and getting it all in when the brick hit. You were better than 4:1 to win the hand, and he sucked out.

Second hand: Betting 2x the pot on a monotone flop is silly. You are only going to be called by hands that beat you. (Or a loose idiot like this one.) Unless the pot is really big in relation to your stack you could go your whole life without betting more than the pot it would probably not be a mistake. (In this case he may well have read the overbet as a desperate stab at the pot, and re-raised hoping to fold you out.) I probably fold here, but I suck.

For more on bet size, get yourself a copy of HOHI.

GL,

Sam