Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Re: 20/40 river play

[ QUOTE ]
Nice 20/40 game at Commerce.

Four limpers to me in the BB with black eights. I check my option.

Flop comes 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB, a loose but weak player, bets out. I raise, a LAGgish (but thinking) player in MP cold-calls, folded to SB who calls.

Turn is Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB checks, I bet, MP and SB call.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are very likely ahead at this point. The MP thinking LAG probably pops the turn with a flush, set, and slowplayed flopped straight (he wouldn't put you on a flush). He wouldn't play a queen with any side card that hits this flop (unlees the emphasis in on "L" in LAGish [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). He would raise pre flop with better pairs in hand. He wouldn't cold call a flop raise with non spade overcards with this board.

[ QUOTE ]
River is 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

SB checks...

Is this a standard bet/fold? Am I better off checking to induce a bluff from MP's potential missed draw? Is a worse hand calling a bet here?

[/ QUOTE ]

This should be a good card for you. You should be the one betting, the board is scary but it should be scary to them based on your play up to this point. This means MP isn't as likely to try bluff betting or thin raising on what you think is a scare card. Also keep in mind the player likely to call with a worse hand is the SB.

If MP raises and SB folds you have a tough decision given it's Commerce (not the land of easy laydowns).

~ Rick
Old 12-06-2005, 05:56 AM

Default Re:sults

Thanks Rick, well said. You make me happier that I did go ahead and decide to bet. MP folded and SB called with 84o, the flopped straight. Indeed it was a scary board for him to get aggressive, but it sure was a surprise to see his hand.