Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 07:17 AM

Default Resteal gone south - Proper resteal strategy?

Stars $160 double shootout - First table.

The table has been squeaky tight; and the button has realized this. He has riased the majority of the past ten hands -- and I have let him take my blind on three or four occasions. In other words, it was time for a resteal.

As you will see, this one went bad fast. Is a push the right move given the stacks? Or should I have raised to 50% of my stack? If I only raise to 50%, do I push any flop without an A?

I am sure that this is a leak (or sieve) in my game, but I think my problem is more with the execution than picking the right spots. (this case being a notable exception).

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (4 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Button (t4860)</font>
SB (t3260)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t2810)</font>
UTG (t2570)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2810</font>, Button calls t2510.

Flop: (t5670) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t5670) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t5670) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t5670

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Button has Qd Qs (one pair, queens).
Hero has Kc Js (high card, ace).
Outcome: Button wins t5670. </font>
Old 04-21-2005, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Resteal gone south - Proper resteal strategy?

I guess you were trying to take the pot down right there, but the only hands that will call this have you beat. I'd probably call the raise, see the flop and re-evaluate then.

If you were determined to get your chips in against this guy, then I'd just call preflop and then push any non-ace flop.

Results sucks, not much you can do. Don't post them next time and you'll get better replies.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:12 AM

I don't know about the pre-flop resteal here. You still have a workable stack and the villan has a pretty good chip lead and can gamble. I might act like I just cold called in the BB with AQ, AJ or KJ and lead out at a flop just like this. If the button has just been stealing and releasing to heat, he might not want to screw with a guy who seems to have a hand this time.

Pushing such a large stack pre-flop seems like a re-steal. So his two options are to fold if he has crap and call if he raised with a real hand. So your picking up the pot 80% of the time here. When he calls though there is a good shot you are crushed. That's why I like the call, you pick up the pot about the same and it might slow him down from stealing from you big blind if there are easier targets at the table.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:20 AM

You really could've raised to 800 or 900. No need to put your head on the chopping block.

Or you could have called and gotten away from the hand on the flop. (Pushing any non-ace flop after a flat call is a drastic overbet and a bad play.)

If you had raised half of your chips preflop, you should be as willing to push an ace flop as quickly as a non-ace flop. The ace would've served as a great scare card here.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:32 PM

these stacks make a resteal awkward. by pushing, you're risking 2.7k to win only 450.

if you want to play, i think it's better to make it 900 and fold to a push. then push any flop.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:03 PM

Both stack sizes and the number of players made this awkward; you guys are right.

I made the stupid mistake of losing sight of the bigger picture while I "knew" that this guy needed to hear from me. Given villan's prior aggressive action and my tight image a solid reraise to 900 or 1000 would have been smarter and a less obvious resteal. Obviously, I lose chips in this case given villan's holding - but I wouldnt be broke

Thanks; now lets see if I can keep this one plugged.