Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 09:47 PM

Default My results after my first 500 $11s

Not bad, could be worse, could be better.
I am leaning towards the stats out the window approach as others on the board have done.

With that being said, the final results:

ROI 17.6%

ITM 39.8%

Profit: $970
Finishes:

1st 12.0% 60
2nd 13.8% 69
3rd 14.0% 70
4th 16.8% 84
5th 16.4% 82
6th 13.2% 66
7th 7.0% 35
8th 4.0% 20
9th 2.0% 10
10th 0.8% 4

And just to note. I didn't make a single penny in my last 300 SnGs. That's right. First 200 I had a 45+% ROI and 2nd 300 I had a 0 ROI. Pretty frustrating to say the least.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Re: My results after my first 500 $11s

Well done. I can't believe you only have 4 10th place finishes. Impressive.

As for your last 300 SnG, don't sweat it. You are trying to get better. It's kind of like golf lessons. Usually your score gets worse while you try to improve your swing. However, once it clicks, you will be a better player. 1 step backwards, 2 steps forward.

I'm a big fan of moving up when your bankroll allows, not waiting for some arbitrary sample size or ROI.

Good luck in the next 500 and the 20s.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious???!! If so, I need to take you off my favorite poster list. Any tighter than tight player can have practically 0 10th place finishes. Please enlighten me as to how I misunderstood your post.... that must be it.... can't wait to eat crow...... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious???!! If so, I need to take you off my favorite poster list. Any tighter than tight player can have practically 0 10th place finishes. Please enlighten me as to how I misunderstood your post.... that must be it.... can't wait to eat crow...... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pushing all in w/ AA/KK/QQ everytime will cause u to lose 1/5 times.... also, set over set, and the like will likely happe more than 4 times in 500 SNG's
Old 04-05-2005, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pushing all in w/ AA/KK/QQ everytime will cause u to lose 1/5 times.... also, set over set, and the like will likely happe more than 4 times in 500 SNG's

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! Thus it doesn't seem that 4 10th place finishes means that one is playing well, i.e., impressive.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:14 PM

but it does mean you haven't been sucked out on very many times in that situation, which is impressive in and of itself...
Old 04-05-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if I'm impressed with his play or impressed by this statistical anomally. Maybe impressed isn't the right word...I need to borrow Irie's vocabulary.

This might make an interesting discussion. What is the correct % of 10th place finishes?

From what I remember from the 10s, if you want to finish 10th, you are going to have a lot of competition. Surviving 2 hands is often enough to avoid 10th.

4/500 is impressive, but is probably too low if he keeps that same % in the 20s and 30s (I doubt he will). Being tight is not the goal. Winning $ is the goal.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:33 PM

I'm curious if you use the "push with any two pretty cards" strategy at the 11s. It seems that you have more 3rds and 4ths than you would like. I'm assuming that the blinds are still fairly small around the bubble. If they are, check some of your HH to make sure you are being pragmatic about your pushes. If they're going to call you with crap, don't bother pushing, especially if the blinds are still low. That being said, 17.6% is nothing to cry about. If you have the BR (I say at least $600), then I'd say take the step up. Or, you could try doing what I do if you multi-table. Play one or two 11s and throw in a 22. Good luck!
Old 04-05-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if I'm impressed with his play or impressed by this statistical anomally. Maybe impressed isn't the right word...I need to borrow Irie's vocabulary.

This might make an interesting discussion. What is the correct % of 10th place finishes?

From what I remember from the 10s, if you want to finish 10th, you are going to have a lot of competition. Surviving 2 hands is often enough to avoid 10th.

4/500 is impressive, but is probably too low if he keeps that same % in the 20s and 30s (I doubt he will). Being tight is not the goal. Winning $ is the goal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, now we're speaking the same language. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Damn that English undergrad major - I always knew it was good for nothing. It's gotten me in trouble twice now on the boards.

You're right, it should be possible to figure out an optimal # of 10th place finishes. I'd do it.... but I majored in English, not Math. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2005, 01:07 AM

Nice numbers. Did you multitable or just singles? I cant wait to post my numbers. Im at 140 played
It will feel great just to finish 500!!