Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Re: taking shots, always failing (low limit and low content)

Hand 1: Fine.
Hand 2: Fold preflop. Easy raise on the flop. Straight and flush draw, value, free card, will fold small pairs.
Hand 3: OK. Checking the flop is reasonable too.
Hand 4: OK. Waiting until the turn to raise is reasonable too. If you are pretty sure he's going to fire again on the turn even if an overcard comes, then waiting until the turn is quite a bit better.
Hand 5: Easy bet on the river. There's no reason to think you are beat at this point. Value bet value bet value bet, these guys love to call.
Hand 6: OK. Calling down an aggro player is reasonable.
Hand 7: OK. Raising somewhere else is reasonable too. I'd raise the river against most players mainly because your kicker plays, chance of being 3 bet is very slim.
Hand 8: Nice.
Hand 9: Nice.

ZZZ
Old 09-29-2005, 02:44 PM

Hand5:

I thought they had a better ace, was on a SD (and they got it) or on FD (which of course missed). Maybe bet-and fold to a raise would be better.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call in hand 8, you have mucho outs

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... I dont get it. I dont see many outs and the pot isnt that big.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
call in hand 8, you have mucho outs

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean his 5 outs? Explain please

[/ QUOTE ]

guttyguttyguttyguttyguttyguttyguttygutty

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

4BB pot 4BB pot 4BB pot 4BB pot 4BB pot 4BB pot 4BB pot 4BB pot 4BB pot

perhaps as many as 6 outs, but that's being generous.

[/ QUOTE ]

how is 6 outs generous? it's as many as 9 and as low as 3 or 4, but I would say it's likely a minimum of 6 outs (9s and Qs). If you make your hand more bets are going in on the river. I personally can't fold such a live hand.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First, I think your handle/avatar combo is hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that was the point! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] My girlfriend calls me Winnie the Pooh (and I call her Piglet) so....

When I take shots, I have about 250-300BB to 1/2 but I usually take (and lose) just about 50-75BB ( I buy-in for 25) and then get upset and move down, so maybe I am not giving it enough time. It just seems that I "always" win in 0,5/1. I want to do that also in 1/2 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Currently I have ~600BB to 0,5/1

I always play only 1 table when taking shot. In 0,5/1 I play 2 tables max.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:59 PM

One more thing, he folded to the donkbet, pre the raise... so at the point that it was donkbet I don't see how one wouldn't assume all 9 outs are live.

last post from me on this subject
Old 09-29-2005, 03:22 PM

Even with 9 outs that's a fold, and there's no way a mid two-pair gets full value on a one-card straight board like that. Not only that, but we're often going to be drawing to a chop with our gutshot outs. This is an easy turn fold. And if you argue about implied odds for the river, you're almost never going to get 2BB in.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:27 PM

Looks like you play plenty well enough to beat the 1/2. However, variance is a bitch and it can be tough not to be results oriented. I have the same problem as you; I'm currently at +8.6 bb/100 at .50/1 and -0.4 bb/100 at 1/2 (over insufficient sample sizes, only around 10k hands at each). You just need to be happy that you're in good games and eventually the cards will fall in your favor. Sometimes the hot cards hit you at the lower limit, other times it'll be the other way around, so don't be afraid to keep playing the 1/2.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I take shots, I have about 250-300BB to 1/2 but I usually take (and lose) just about 50-75BB ( I buy-in for 25) and then get upset and move down, so maybe I am not giving it enough time.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this may be your problem. Try buying in for 50BBs and then using tiltblocker or something else to cover up your stack. I've never played .5/1, but I can't imagine 1/2 is significantly more difficult. You just need to give yourself enough time to ride out some variance if you hit a bad patch and don't let the increased stakes affect you.

EDIT: Oh, I'd also take 100BBs total for the shot. Two buy-ins. If you drop it all, you still have plenty for .5/1, but DON'T LEAVE 1/2 unless you're so uncomfortable with the stakes you can't play well or you think you're being outplayed. Be willing to just lose that money, because moving up ASAP should be priority one.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:33 PM

hand 1 is standard

hand 2 you do generally not want to coldcall, EVER. (note i said generally, coldcalling with low pairs when others have coldcalled before you etc is fine). so fold this preflop.

hand 3 is pretty standard
hand 4 is standard
hand 5 bet the river

hand 6 is probably fine, unless you know him to be overly
aggressive. though its most likely a good fold

hand 7 you have to 3-bet this flop or raise the turn. because of the weak kicker I usually 3-bet the flop.

hand 8 is fine.
hand 9 is also fine, you shouldn't call here no. you are way too often dominated.