Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 11:32 AM

Default It will happen 2 you

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
Everyone on this forum and all of 2+2 has always preached the need to manage your bankroll, play at the right level, and prepare for a big downswing at some point. I paid some attention to that, however I had managed to work through the levels and got to 5-10 6 max with a 800BB bankroll with never really hitting a prolonged downswing (fluctuations of course, but nothing dramatic) – things were moving along nicely, winning 1.8BB/100 over 40K+ hands at that level……..then in the middle of August things went horribly wrong - Down swing of 250BB over 15K hands and:
- Every flop missed my hand
- It seemed liked I was getting rivered on every big hand (lost to runner, runner 4 of a kinds on the board with my pocket K’s 3 times…..)
- None of my ‘moves’ were working, seemed like people were playing back at me on every hand……
I started questioning my abilities, started going over my PT stat’s with a fine tooth comb – could not find anything dramatically different in play for those last 15K hands - my stats have always been 23/15 (the only real difference when I dug deep was that I seemed to wining the ‘small pots’ and losing or chopping the ‘big pots’) – wo was me – I was thinking of dropping back down to 3-6 to retool a little bit…….Then…..

2 weeks ago lightening struck and I was back to hitting flops, making the occasional set with my PP, and actually rivering people for a change…..played another 15K hands since then and made back almost all of my down swing……So the moral of the story:
- Make sure you are well rolled
- You WILL hit a terrible run of cards at some point
- DO NOT give up or fall into a self perpetuating cycle of loosening up to get even
- Keep reading 2+2 and take what people say seriously – as it will happen to you at some point.

Thanks for the advice in advance, if I had believed that it could happen to me I would not have taken it so hard……..
Old 09-28-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: It will happen 2 you

15k? I wouldn't start worrying until 30k-40k hands or more...15k just seems incredibly short-term IMO. But yeah dropping 250 BB during that time is nothing to sneeze at either.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:30 PM

I'm in your August right now. What a headtrip [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]. I am well rolled so its not super scary yet but just frustrating, depressing, and pretty astonishing.
What really trips me out are the odds of this happening over and over and over in a row, you know?
I did have a 20K break even in Aug too, then proceeded to go off on a tear and cranked out 4/100 over the next 25K, so yeah it comes in insane waves of short term luck. The downswings are great motivation to work on your game [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Good heads up for people who don't know what your wrote.
Ho hum, back to trying to dig myself out...
Old 09-28-2005, 02:46 PM

I believe you speak the truth. I was hit for the first time two weeks ago after almost 200K hands. I was honestly beginning to think the poker gods would let me be, that the monster downswings people talked about were due to tilt or playing too many tables. I'm less sure now even though I'm positive I did not play my best poker during this stretch.

I think I'll be better prepared next time it happens because it messed me up both mentally and physically and almost made me scared to sit at the tables for a while. The good thing is you are forced to work on your game again [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2005, 02:55 PM

didnt think it would be when I opened this thread, but good post.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What really trips me out are the odds of this happening over and over and over in a row, you know?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what makes you physically ill. You are relying on math and suddenly it just doesn't seem to add up anymore. It seems too much of a long shot that the same kind of beats happen over and over again in a short period of time. That's when you visit the toilet and make funny sounds [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2005, 03:02 PM

um standard.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:12 PM

Well I think what got me so upset/frazled is that it was one of those things that you always hear about - but I always thought that it would not happen to me (or perhaps that people it happened to just were not that good).....I am just glad that I was over rolled for 5-10 so at no point was I that worried about going broke (but as a previous poster said kinda scared to sit down - even getting a monster hand with monster flop (AA hitting a set) I was always thinking to myself, this is going to lose somehow......not much fun).
Old 09-28-2005, 03:52 PM

In my second 400+BB downswing of this year. Nothing like 4 or 5 1000+ hand sessions of your W$SD being high 20's/low 30's to brighten up your day. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Man, I love this game.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my second 400+BB downswing of this year. Nothing like 4 or 5 1000+ hand sessions of your W$SD being high 20's/low 30's to brighten up your day. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Man, I love this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fun isn't it. I feel your pain. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]