Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Some interesting spots

Hand 1 is a fold, I know implied odds are great and I love pocket pairs but I just don't think you can make that much up postflop.
I agree with everybody else here that hand 2 is a WA/WB situation in that most of the time you are way ahead and your opponent who is way behind is going to call down with AK every time here on this rag board. You might have been checkraised and been against the overpair this time, but most of the time you 3 outered him on this flop and you need to get value, especially in a 6 handed game.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Re: My thoughts

[ QUOTE ]
My thoughts are in white.

# 1 -<font color="white"> Hand one is a clear call. Everytime I don't flop a set I have to pay 3 SB, so everytime I do flop one I need to win 22.5 SB. Since other people are already putting in 13 SB, I only need to win 9.5 SB or 4.75 BB everytime I flop a set. In this hand I actually did flop a set and won roughly 13 BB. So even if I win 75% of the time I flop a set, I need to collect like 6.5 BB after the flop. This is very do able.</font>

# 2 -<font color="white">I really like a check in hand 2. If I have him beat, it is likely to just 3 outs, and he might bet AK on the river after I check behind (if he checks again I will surely bet). If you were the SB, this is the perfect time to go for a check raise with a hand like AA or KK. With the bottom card pairing, it gives anyone with 9x just 2 outs. Anyway I did bet and he check/raised me. I called because I might have 5 outs and the river bricked (it was a two) and I called. He had AA and MHING. Lesson learned as checking in this spot isn't a bad idea (with the intention of calling a river bet). FWIW he ended up being a 26/14 after 30 hands and if I knew that I would have checked for sure. </font>

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

you know what surprised me, is that on the second one, people didn't look at the range of hands that get 3bet out of the SB, or how bad getting raised on the turn usually is in this situation .. they just locked in overcards and went with it
Old 04-22-2005, 12:37 PM

Hand 1: You are getting 13.5:3 on your call assuming everyone comes along. With this much pf action you will surely get paid handsomely if you hit your set but you mighty lose a truckload to a bigger set. I can take it or leave it. If I'm feeling lucky (85% I feel lucky) I call. If I'm skidding (15%) I fold and pick a better spot to invest.

Hand 2: I usually bet when checked to here. If he C/R's I call down or take a free showdown against an unknown. Since this is HU and an obvious steal attempt I am very skeptical of anything SB does here. His range of 3-betting hands could be HUGE in a defense posture. We have top pair we should like our chances at showdown.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:18 PM

Hand 1: If I had limped 77 UTG, which I certainly would have, I would call 3 back to me in this spot. I guess that makes it a call here.

Hand 2: I think I am checking here and hoping to induce a bet on the river. That way if SB feels like he can take a stab at the pot with A high or whatever, I can snap off his bluff, but if he has an overpair I won't lose a lot of money when he checkraises me on the turn. If I bet here overcards are folding the majority of the time, and overpairs will raise or call me down, so I like the check behind.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you know what surprised me, is that on the second one, people didn't look at the range of hands that get 3bet out of the SB, or how bad getting raised on the turn usually is in this situation .. they just locked in overcards and went with it

[/ QUOTE ]
I was very surprised that checking didn't get more votes on Hand 2 as well. Placing myself in SB's shoes, heads up against an aggressive player, representing AK by checking on the turn is the perfect play with an overpair. Against a passive player I'd just bet out.

I will grant that SB may have put Hero on a steal attempt, and therefore his range of hands might be much bigger, but barring reads I am going to think he is not on a resteal, and if he were on a resteal, he would certainly have just bet the turn.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:34 PM

I would call the first hand -- you know you're probably behind a bigger pocket pair, so if you miss your set on the flop, it won't be too hard to give this up. On the other hand, the implied odds are huge if you do hit with this much action preflop.

Second hand -- I would raise on the flop, as your hand is vulnerable so you don't mind taking the pot down now, and I think there is reasonable fold equity. Also, if he 3bets you, you get some information that he probably has an overpair, and then you can probably fold the turn UI if he bets into you again.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the implied odds are huge if you do hit with this much action preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the pot will likely be very big, but implied odds don't work this way, exactly.

The more bets you put in (with you as a preflop dog), the more you have to make up postflop when you catch.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I was very surprised that checking didn't get more votes on Hand 2 as well. Placing myself in SB's shoes, heads up against an aggressive player, representing AK by checking on the turn is the perfect play with an overpair. Against a passive player I'd just bet out.

I will grant that SB may have put Hero on a steal attempt, and therefore his range of hands might be much bigger, but barring reads I am going to think he is not on a resteal, and if he were on a resteal, he would certainly have just bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

It took longer than I expected, but grunching has finally made me feel like an idiot. You can make an argument for betting the turn, but it's certainly not "the world's easiest bet". Getting C/R'd here would certainly suck. I have actually made this check turn, autocall river play a lot in the past with decent success, but I've been trying to increase my turn aggression lately. This may not be the best spot for it.
However, I will say that it's important to consider the resteal possibility. I'm really not giving him credit for the overpair until the turn C/R; especially if he's at all aggressive.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How did you know to put him on an overpair and not AK so that you'd know to just call a river bet, and not raise it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain's turn checkraise represented a strong hand.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:24 PM

Per pokerstove, you will in fact lose somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-30% of the time that a seven comes on the flop. I think for this reason it's probably a fold, though with one more caller you cold call too IMO.