Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 10:38 PM

Default slowplay QQ on QJ3r?

Standard party table. MP1 is especially passive, I've seen him call with amazing hands on the river

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, CO checks.

Booyah! Pretty uncoordinated ranbow flop, so I go for the slowplay to let people catch up a bit on the turn. Should I even bother at these limits?

Turn: (5.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, CO folds, BB folds.

I can't really imagine this helping anyone, but if I don't bet I don't see myself making any money.

River: (8.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

So what do you think? I don't usually slowplay at these limits, should I save it for when the flop is TOTALLY ragged (like Q35r or something)?
Old 11-28-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Re: slowplay QQ on QJ3r?

Bet, bet, bet, I dont slow play these hands, most of these bozos at these limits will call you anyway because they think their Ace high is the nuts. Milk'em dry.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:48 PM

I start betting this immediately on the flop. With 5 people in, there will be people calling with A high, pair of 3, pair of jacks, you name it. But the check sure can seem tempting but I would only really check here if it was a pot with 2 or 1 other player, but this is a multiway and I'm betting and expecting at least 2 callers on the flop.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:51 PM

I think you can live your whole life and NEVER have to slow play this hand. People flopped backdoor flush draws, backdoor straights, bottom pair...they will call happily.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Booyah! Pretty uncoordinated ranbow flop, so I go for the slowplay to let people catch up a bit on the turn. Should I even bother at these limits? So what do you think? I don't usually slowplay at these limits, should I save it for when the flop is TOTALLY ragged (like Q35r or something)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Find sections on slowplaying in some 2+2 books. It's a very rare occurence, especially at the lower limits where so many people call with anything. This is not a place to slowplay. The flop is coordinated and the pot is big. This is the worst place to give a free card. If the pot was small and the flop was Q73r, then OK.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:01 PM

Default thanks + results

Alright, message recieved: slowplay under only extreme circumstances (small pots with few opponents and very ragged boards).

Just for interests sake I lost this one to KTo from MP1... how much more passive can you get? I've got a nice note on him now at least.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:04 PM

I didn't even read the action beyond the flop because honestly it doesn't matter, bet this flop.
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen him call with amazing hands on the river

[/ QUOTE ]

So bet the flop and let him call that too.

Looking further at the hand now:
I hope someone hit a runner runner flush, or the inside straight with T8 so that you learn the pain of the kittens that are killed by your flop check.

When you think
[ QUOTE ]
Booyah! Pretty uncoordinated ranbow flop, so I go for the slowplay

[/ QUOTE ]

I want it to be immediately followed by the thought

fish like to call I like to let them
Old 11-28-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Re: thanks + results

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, message recieved: slowplay under only extreme circumstances (small pots with few opponents and very ragged boards).

[/ QUOTE ]

As a rule of addendum, never ever slowplay a set. I'd say that one should never slowplay anything less than a nut two-card flush at microlimits, and even then it takes exceptional circumstances. There's a couple exceptions, but its much more profitable to lose the value when a slowplay would have worked because it's so rare.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:28 PM

Bet this flop because you are likely to get called by weaker hands. This is not a ragged flop. Any one with two cards greater than T will most likely call you. Why would you want to give them a free card. Players are usually way looser on the flop so why would you want to pass on this profitable opportunity?

Some players are bad enough to call you with 77 or A9 here. But as Ed Miller would say: "They can't call if you don't bet!"
Old 11-29-2005, 03:46 AM

I only consider slowplaying flopped straight and royal flushes, and even then some jack@ss is going to draw out on you.