Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability

Old 06-20-2004, 06:02 PM

Default Dream Jackpot

Just got back from foxwoods played the 4/8, hit a dream jackpot. A lady just sat down who had a massive temper problem, and was on the biggest luck streak I've ever seen. (Up until she played me) She probably had 3 full houses, 4 straights, half a dozen flushes and a few trips in the first half hour she sat down. She was betting angrily and somehow pulling it off.

I was dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Up till this point I had a lot of respect. Had to show about 1 out of 7 hands. I raised in the EP to get people out.

Not much luck, 5 people call.
Flop comes:
A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I get trips, scared of flush but bet anyway. 4 callers.
Turn come:
A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]! I get quad aces!
I check in the EP, MP bets I raise. everyone calls.
Turn comes 3:clubs:
I get into a betting war. At the end I was against woman who had pocket 3's to make 3's full of aces and someone who said he had a high flush but folded in the betting war.

Ended up being about a $300 jackpot! Not bad for 4/8.

Just curious, what are the odds that a hand like (Quads vs. Boat) this shows up.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Dream Jackpot

Congrats Wacki,

Sounds like you're still having a lot of fun out at Foxwoods, keep it up. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-nam
Old 06-23-2004, 03:46 AM

I don't know, but your thought process is way off on this hand.

You're not raising preflop to get people out, you're raising so that if the perfect situation arises (everybody calls) they'll be putting in 2 bets instead of one. Would you rather just win the blinds?

You shouldn't be scared of the flush when only two hearts are on the board. You should be overjoyed that someone might give you a lot of action while you hold top set, not to mention your odds for drawing to a full house are quite good on the off chance another heart comes, and that player has 2 hearts in his hand.

Sorry I didn't answer your question, but you should be thinking about why you actually raise with AA, or call with T9s after 3 limpers.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know, but your thought process is way off on this hand.

You're not raising preflop to get people out, you're raising so that if the perfect situation arises (everybody calls) they'll be putting in 2 bets instead of one. Would you rather just win the blinds?

You shouldn't be scared of the flush when only two hearts are on the board. You should be overjoyed that someone might give you a lot of action while you hold top set, not to mention your odds for drawing to a full house are quite good on the off chance another heart comes, and that player has 2 hearts in his hand.

Sorry I didn't answer your question, but you should be thinking about why you actually raise with AA, or call with T9s after 3 limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always assumed you raise with AA to go against 2 or 3 people and not a large multiway pot. Is this not correct?

I will look at the two hearts differently from know on, but I will still be glad when the third one doesn't show against my lone pocket aces in the future. But if one does show I know calling down for a boat is the correct move. Thanks for the advice.

And namknils I will be at Foxwoods almost everyweekend, I hope Trump and Party is treating you well.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always assumed you raise with AA to go against 2 or 3 people and not a large multiway pot. Is this not correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

No it is not correct. You want callers when you raise AA. You're raising beacuse you have the best hand, not to thin the field. You'll win less often, but win more money, if you get a lot of callers. The object is to win the most money, not win the most hands.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:43 PM

There is probably some point at which this ceases to be true (that AA wants more callers), though it may be when there are more than 10 callers. Against random hands (allin preflop), you would rather be called by 8 opps than by 9.

Craig