Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-30-2005, 07:26 PM

Default ($60) Two pair, meh

I am not pushing this preflop. So don't say it.

Opponent seemed to be playing pretty well, and wasn't overly abusing his stack.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button (t1500)
SB (t3635)
Hero (t1375)
UTG (t1325)
MP1 (t1150)
MP2 (t2850)
CO (t1665)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls t100, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t300) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, CO folds, SB calls t200.

Turn: (t700) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t700) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t500</font>, Hero calls t500.

Final Pot: t1700
Old 11-30-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Re: ($60) Two pair, meh

looks good to me, you will minimize your losses when you are behind, and encourage a river bluff when you are ahead.

If you're planning on calling that bet on the river, why not push/bet the turn? IOW, 500 is WAYY too much to call here if you're worried about the 6, so if you're not worried about the 6 why check behind the turn? If you do it to try and induce a river bluff, why not raise the river?

something seems off with your line. Unless you were thinking you wanted to induce a river bet then the quantity of it scared you?

explain yourself

Checking the turn looks kinda bad to me. I don't really want to be giving a card here. I'd take a shot for 325 or so. If he pushes, I look into his soul.

With your line, gotta call the river and hope for the best.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
looks good to me, you will minimize your losses when you are behind, and encourage a river bluff when you are ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

he'll have 500 left after the river when he is behind...that is pretty much both feet out the door.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? How can you claim both, when you don't know if you're ahead or not?
Old 11-30-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Checking the turn looks kinda bad to me. I don't really want to be giving a card here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? He either just got there with the straight and is trapping me by checking after I bet the flop, or I still have him crushed if he had a hand like K8. The only hands I really don't want to be giving free cards to are ones with tens and pair + jack hands, which there aren't that many of after the flop.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Checking the turn looks kinda bad to me. I don't really want to be giving a card here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? He either just got there with the straight and is trapping me by checking after I bet the flop, or I still have him crushed if he had a hand like K8. The only hands I really don't want to be giving free cards to are ones with tens and pair + jack hands, which there aren't that many of after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you mean, but bsides giving draws to your very vulnerable hand, you are missing value when you're ahead. Not only this, what do you do on the river? You are not really minimizing losses when you have to call AI anyway...I think you're bringing too much river mentality to the turn.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're planning on calling that bet on the river, why not push/bet the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of pair + 6 hands that may have check-called the flop and no worse hand is calling my push.

[ QUOTE ]
IOW, 500 is WAYY too much to call here if you're worried about the 6, so if you're not worried about the 6 why check behind the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am worried about the 6, I used 2/3 of my time bank before calling.

[ QUOTE ]
If you do it to try and induce a river bluff, why not raise the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because what bluff hands call me? He'd be insane to call even ~500 more with just A8 or whatever.

[ QUOTE ]

something seems off with your line. Unless you were thinking you wanted to induce a river bet then the quantity of it scared you?

explain yourself

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, even if he has a 6 I have 4 outs to fill up, that's one reason to check behind. I wasn't sure what I was going to do on a blank river, except that it was either going to be check-fold or check-call.

[ QUOTE ]
he'll have 500 left after the river when he is behind...that is pretty much both feet out the door.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it really isn't, I've come back from worse, and I'd rather have 500 chips left than 0.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, in addition to the cases you metion, I just feel like any higher card with a piece of the flop (Ax) could take Villain's line if he thinks you are FOS on the flop, and I don't want to be losing to a higher two pair. But maybe that's MUTB.

In any case, I have a made hand, and I just want to try to take it down now with a board that's scary to villain as well.