Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2004, 02:10 PM

Default Re: lol

[img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I am nothing if not ambiguos.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:19 PM

Default Re: 200+15 SNG players-how good is this guy?

If you don't mind me asking Frozen, what part of Chicago are you from? I'm in Cicero. Any other 2+2ers that you know of in Chicagoland area? Sorry it's off-topic.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:54 PM

this post got hijacked long ago, i dont think anything is off topic
Old 06-17-2004, 07:55 PM

FWIW (not much), Frozen_Fish is down $810 in 14 $215 SnG's I have played against him.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You got there nano seconds before me.

I can see no reason for the disgust appart from the mistaken idea that Nietzche is some how associated with the Nazi's.

If anything Nietzches ideas are expressed more by radical free market or libertarian perspectives, as Nietzche is/was a rampant individualist who would have hated the Nazi with a quite considerable passion.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very educated post. I too was under the misconception that Nietzche's 'superman' ideal was somehow a foundation for the Nazi racism, until a Nietzcheist set me straight a few years ago. I have seen no evidence that Nietzche advocated racism in the slightest.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I'm already mentioning books, I gotta plug my all time favorite here: Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I got into her philosophy after noticing that every single highly successful person I'd meet just happened to also be devoted to Rand's philosophy. Just like communism/collectivism is magnet philosophy for bums & losers, Objectivism/Capitalism is a magnet philosophy for highly successful & self-sufficient individuals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think one needs to be careful not to confuse cause and effect here. It's not that following Ayn Rand tends to make you successful. It's that people who are already successful, or on the road to success, tend to be drawn to this philosophy because it justifies their way of life.

There's nothing wrong with this, any more than it's wrong for a beggar to be pro-welfare. But he's more likely to be pro-welfare because he's a beggar, than the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, good point... but wouldn't a child raised on Objectivist ideals be more likely to achieve wealth than a child raised by egalitarianist parents & teachers? I say yes.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:32 PM

South Barrington, but I grew up in Israel, including 3 years in the IDF. I'm still in Israel part-time.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, good point... but wouldn't a child raised on Objectivist ideals be more likely to achieve wealth than a child raised by egalitarianist parents & teachers? I say yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you keep score by how much wealth your child achieves, possibly. Personally I'd be more proud to raise a child who thinks for himself.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:56 PM

If I raised a little Dagney Taggart, I consider myself a serious failure as a parent. Objectivism is as cockeyed as Communism and just as rediculously utopian.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I raised a little Dagney Taggart, I consider myself a serious failure as a parent. Objectivism is as cockeyed as Communism and just as rediculously utopian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting that you would feel this way. Care to elaborate?