Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-25-2005, 05:48 PM

Default I need a change (Learning)

I am in need of poker help.

I have played poker for over a year now, and I have made a substantial amount of money doing so. I began bly playing $10/1's with the help of a friend of mine, and built a roll to play $2/4 limit. From there I moved up through limit stakes, and have played $5/10 and $10/20 shorthanded with success. However, over the past few months I have become more and more interested in increasing hourly rate and not actually improving my game. As a result, I have been playing 8 tables of $5/10 short handed, and grinding out tons of hands on autoplay. Because of this, my game has stagnated. Coupled with a large (200+ big bets) downswing, this has made me want to learn a new game. I don’t like No Limit ring for a number of reasons, so I want to play sit and go’s. However, my SnG game has completely gone since I played them over a year ago. I am posting to ask how I should learn them.

I want to start by playing $20/2’s. $10/1’s are too small of an amount to me, and I can’t really take them seriously. I don’t mind losing some money in the process of learning – I’m an 18 year old student and don’t have much in the way of vital expenses (college is paid for). I have a basic grasp of SnG strategy, but not much in the way of specifics? What should I do to become an excellent SnG player? Are there posts that are super informative that you have book marked? Are there guides to basic strategy online? Obviously I know that I will need to post hands for specific review, so don’t just say “post hands”. I genuinely want to become an expert at SnG’s.

Thanks in advance for your help, and I am certain I’ll be posting a lot in this forum in the near future.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: I need a change (Learning)

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=14&fpart=1

That will give you some food for thought =)

Also, I would recommend getting Sit n Go Power Tools. I think any serious SnG player should have it.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:19 PM

When you are first starting SNGs, make a point to study AT LEAST as many hours as you play. By studying, I mean: <ul type="square">[*]Reading the FAQ[*]Learning every bubble situation with SNGPT[*]Pouring over the archives and absorbing all the wisdom and knowledge you can from posters like Irieguy, Unarmed, Raptor, Curtains, etc[*]Actively participating in forum discussions[*]*occasionally* posting a hand that you are completely stumped on[/list]Do this and 6-12 months from now you will probably be approaching the earn you had at $10/20sh, but with FAR less variance.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:00 PM

i don't think it will take 6-12 months for him to become a solid sng player.

p.s. OP, you probably want to include tigerite in your post search.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:05 PM

It obviously depends on how much time he puts in. Play 1500 a month and study just as much and you'll be there in 2 months.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:39 PM

Youll learn who the good posters are quick enough. SNGPT is probally one of the most important things you can get because of Bubble Play being so important.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:15 AM

If you try to win at Sit and Gos and don't use SNGPT religiously you are a blistering idiot in my opinion. I've almost never talked to anyone who really has a clue, that doesn't use that program.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:08 AM

Thanks for the advice. Sounds pretty much the same as I got back in the day in the micro limit forum [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. It's good to hear it again tho