Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-25-2005, 03:26 AM

Default Re: Party $20+2: AKs first hand - Do we gamble?

In my experience, in the face of this large size of reraise and the fact that you have an A and K in your hand makes it a lot less likely than 40% that villain has KK or AA. That said, I'd pop this will a smaller raise, maybe 100-120. This will still shake loose some players, however it allows you to more easily get away from a situation like this. Otherwise, if you want to raise so much that you would feel you'd have to call any re-raise due to pot odds anyway, why not just pop it all-in here and give yourself the best chance to snag the 120 without a fight?

$.02
Old 12-25-2005, 04:10 AM

all i know is I never raise from the blinds facing that many limpers with anything other than AA KK or QQ.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:26 PM

not sure about your initial raise, i probably make it like 120-150 there, but once BB pushes, I'm calling. to whoever talked [censored] above about not taking a coinflip -- even if this was a coinflip, taking a coinflip while being laid very good odds is playing intelligent poker, not gambling (at least not in the long run).
Old 12-25-2005, 05:37 PM

Stop raising 1/4 of your stack and you won't have this problem. Also, there's nothing wrong with raising AKs knowing you will get three callers. If you don't know what to do when you miss, quit poker; if you don't know what to do when you hit, only playing some more will teach you. So basically, make it t75 or maybe 100, then, like, make up your mind what to do from there (hint: if KK pushed, you'd still call.)