Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-24-2005, 12:09 PM

Default hanging on when trying to qualify.

PP qualifier. Final table, 7 spots advance, 9 left. SB and BB have 70k stacks. blinds 2k/4k
Folded to SB who limps.
BB hero with KQs. Raise or take the cheap flop?

Hero just checks. Flop KJ7 rainbow. SB makes pot size bet.
Correct play for hero? All-in? Half the stack? Call down?
Old 12-24-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Re: hanging on when trying to qualify.

Of course you know the outcome. Turn blank hits the villian's weak Kx kicker. I don't bust out on this one but am somehwat crippled, villian takes me out 4 hands later on next question...
Old 12-24-2005, 12:35 PM

With just 2 people left to bust before I get a seat I might just fold here. Perhaps it's weak tight but this is a satellite - not like there's a top heavy payout to shoot for. I'm just as happy with 7th as I am 1st in this.

You could also opt to put in a smallish raise to about 20k hoping to take it down there. That would leave you enough that you can safely fold to a push if you had to and still have room to play hoping 2 people bust before you.

Whatever the case, I'm not looking to stick my whole stack in the middle here. I'm too close to the seat and I'm not looking to bust on this bubble.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:51 PM

How many stacks left were shorter than you? That is key informatin to include when posting a satellite hand. If you are short, push the flop. If not, just fold.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:55 PM

At the time, their were 3 stacks shorter. hence, I should have folded. First time to the final table in a big satellite.

But with KQs in the BB heads up against a SB limp, would a better play have been to raise 5x the BB preflop and if he pushes, then fold? the villian wasn't short either and I would still have been 7th (final seat).
Old 12-24-2005, 01:41 PM

I may be way off base here but I have to think the sb is worried about seating as well...I get aggressive here and push from the bb. You're not so deep that you can fold into the seat and it sends a message...just my .02
Old 12-24-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many stacks left were shorter than you? That is key informatin to include when posting a satellite hand. If you are short, push the flop. If not, just fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just how many, but sizes..of all the stacks. But with 3 shorter and one tied, it sounds like you are middle of the pack. You should be joining forces and ganging up on the small stacks, not facing off against each other.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:31 AM

I think you are right. I should have made a 15k preflop raise...he lays down K8 there rather than bleed off 20% of his stack as he's on the bubble. And I should have tried a big flop raise for the same reason. I know I lay down K8 in that situation if I meet big resistance.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:52 PM

you should have listed every single stack size
Old 12-25-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I may be way off base here but I have to think the sb is worried about seating as well...I get aggressive here and push from the bb. You're not so deep that you can fold into the seat and it sends a message...just my .02

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Bubble aggression is especially good with flat payout structures. He'll (rightly) lay down almost every hand if you push here.