Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-01-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Live Long Enough to Live Forever (x-post)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
btw, how much would you pay for some blood purifying nanobots?

[/ QUOTE ]

More money than I currently have. Seems like something worth going into debt over, amiright?

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the point of living forever if you're going to be poor and desperate?
Old 12-01-2005, 01:58 PM

I don't know what number 2 goal in life is, I do know that
number 1 goal is "don't die".
Old 12-01-2005, 05:11 PM

"We shouldn't envy the gods. The gods envy us" - Brad Pitt(Achilles) [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Our mortality is what makes us value life, its whats makes our time precious. I don't think its that hard to see, but i have no problem going into detail on this concept later on (heading to the pub in 5 mins treasure life some more)

My only bigger fear than fearing death would be not to fear death i guess. Besides that, imo fear is to be confronted, to be embraced; not to be lived by(in this particular case an utopia, but the quest in itself is what creates the field of tension that defines all that makes life interesting). Fear of death being the grand mothership of all fears, ultimately confronting it probably will in its own way be one of the absolute highlights of my life. Never will one be thrown back more to ones absolute core of being. These are the moments im willing to live for, these are the moments im willing to die for (sorry, im getting all zen on your a.sses, i quit now mmkayy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )
Old 12-01-2005, 06:28 PM

I don't mind dying, 10,000 years from now...
but 100 is so little time, don't you agree?
Old 12-01-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Our mortality is what makes us value life, its whats makes our time precious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oddly enough, a little over a decade ago, Ray Kurzweil wrote in his book The Age of Spiritual Machines, "Take death for example. A great deal of our effort goes into avoiding it. We make extraordinary efforts to delay it and often consider it's intrusion a tragic event, yet we'd find it hard to live without it. Death gives meaning to our lives. It gives importance and value to time. Time would become meaningless if there were too much of it."
Old 12-02-2005, 02:11 AM

Er I don't need death to mean anything. I'll live for 100,000 years and you will never find me wishing for death(assuming everything remains cool and I'm not some kind of depressed ancient glob of human).

I'd have plenty of time to imbue meaning into my life outside of the ending of it.

I haven't read those books, Kurzweil wrote a cool essay for this book on the philosophy of the Matrix. I think the book was called "Taking the Red Pill". If I remember right he explains how we will become robots or the robots will compete for resources with us and they will win and displace us.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:49 PM

I think we should make sure Earth makes it that far before we worry about ourselves. Just my $0,02
Old 12-03-2005, 01:45 AM

What about the probability of you dying minutes before you receive the newly invented life extension program?

Worst. Beat. Ever.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:51 AM

The Earth will be here for another 5 billion years or so regardless of our actions. It may not be particularly hospitable for mammalian life, but it's not going anywhere.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:24 PM

Enjoyed your blog. I just finished another Ray Kurzweil book titled "The Singularity is Near". I found it to be fascinating, although I don't know if I am convinced that we are evolving/progressing at an exponential, rather than linear rate. Kurzweil devotes a good portion of his book explaining why he believes that we are in fact on an exponential curve. I generally felt that there were too many supporting points that are open to interpretation. I think that an exponential rate is a possibility, but not a probable one. Anyone else have any insight or remarks on Kurzweil's exponential theory?