Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 07:10 AM

Default Cigars, Politics and Freedom (in that order)

OK, I did a search on the forums, and there seem to have been very few posts (of any worth really) about cigars. Yet I feel that cigars have, very much, a strong association with the unmentionable (on this forum) game.

On reflection, I realised that the problem was that you poor USA citizens are not allowed this marvellous experience that a hand made Cuban gigar of good quality is. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I mean, economic sanctions.. against that small island... u guys are real wusses. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I really am only experienced with Cubans. Every forays I have had with other nationalities seegars (as Gore Vidal would say) has been a dissapointment.

I also note that Pres. Kennedy ensured that his staff went out and purchased some Cubans the day prior to enabling the embargo. At least some president had some class. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] By the way, those were Upmann if the legend is right.

Anyone ready to discuss cigars, or politics and freedom? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PS I enjoy one cigar daily after my meal, whilst I finish my bottle of red and play some on-line poker, ot just relax. OK, rarely, for the right occasion I may have 2, or even 3). [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Cigars, Politics and Freedom (in that order)

Everything I've read from "experts" in the field - meaning magazine articles, stuff in Cigar Afficiando, etc - says that Cubans have lost major ground to Dominican and other tobaccos.

I'm not experienced enough to tell real subtle differences in quality, but none of the Cubans I've had have been head-and-shoulders above similar Dominicans.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everything I've read from "experts" in the field - meaning magazine articles, stuff in Cigar Afficiando, etc - says that Cubans have lost major ground to Dominican and other tobaccos.

I'm not experienced enough to tell real subtle differences in quality, but none of the Cubans I've had have been head-and-shoulders above similar Dominicans.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, I still get a box of cubans every month from a connection I have in Jamaica. The H Upman Vintage Cameroon (non-cuban) rivals a lot of the good Cohibas (2004 anniver. are very similar).
Old 11-28-2005, 12:51 PM

Cubans can be easily attained in the US, but unless you have a knowledgeable source they are often fakes.

Cubans can be better than non Cubans or worse, it depends on the individual cigar. However, many of the greatest cigars available are made in Cuba and if I had to pick a single country of origin, it would be Cuba.

The politics of it does not belong here but it is a mess. A complicated, festering, mess.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:13 PM

unless you have a knowledgeable source they are often fakes.

This is an understatement. Over 90% of the Cubans sold in the US are fakes.

Regarding the quality of Cuban cigars, there was a few year period between 1998-2001 where the quality was very poor. Their production goals were wayyy too high.

Fortunately, they have become much more reasonable, and are focusing more on quality rather than quanitity. The cigars that have been produced over the last 2 years have been fantastic and have great aging potential.

The problem with Cubans is that the tobacco isn't aged before they are boxed and sold. As a result, cuban cigars go through a sick period usually from about 6 months through 2-3 years. During this time, they have a noticable ammonia flavor. This is a part of the natural aging process, escpecially with stronger cigars. Some cubans take 5+ years to mature. During that time, the flavor profile for a cuban cigar can change dramatically. A Montecristo with 1 year of age on it will be much different than the same cigar with 5 years of age.

If you want to read more about this, the most extensive book on the subject is

The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Post-Revolution Havana Cigars

It is extensive and has lots of pictures, but it is expensive.

Cup
Old 11-28-2005, 01:17 PM

You're probably going to take offense to this, but there is a very very good chance that the cigars you have been buying are fake. Unless they are being purchased from La Casa Del Habanos, it is highly unlikely that they are real.

There are many online sites that are reputable and have excellent prices. Even if your cigars from Jamaica are real, you can get them at better prices online. PM me if you would like some more details.

Cup
Old 11-28-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
unless you have a knowledgeable source they are often fakes.

This is an understatement. Over 90% of the Cubans sold in the US are fakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was being nice, people don't like being told they've almost certainly been ripped off.

Nice post and yes, online is certainly the way to go.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, I still get a box of cubans every month from a connection I have in Jamaica. The H Upman Vintage Cameroon (non-cuban) rivals a lot of the good Cohibas (2004 anniver. are very similar).

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone I know? I agree that there are Dominicans as good as any Cubans that I have had. Let me also recommend to you a very nice Jamaican brand called Barrington House. Their Fundadores line is my staple.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is to be expected if the largest and most accessible market is arbitrarily closed (probably in the name of economic freedom and free markets [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ).
Old 11-28-2005, 05:24 PM

Hiya IntheCup,

Min Ron Nee's book is a must for afficionados indeed. Good one. Did you know that there is a new edition just or just about out.

PS I may have been lucky or use legitimate reliable suppliers, but I never had an amonia flavoured (?) Cuban [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers