Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 02:43 AM

Default Re: Hated this, what should I have done (Stars 16 Turbo)

My bet was designed to get the pot HU. I thought it needed to be this big. I do not get called by KK+ only here in 16's, I get called by all kinds of trash here. Mostly 55-TT AT-AQ thinking I'm trying to steal the pot. Once every now and then someone has AK. Almost never AA/KK.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:58 AM

alot of medium pocket pairs will call a large bet like this. those goofballs. hey OP, what's your stars name? pm it to me will ya?
Old 10-23-2005, 04:30 AM

You wanna be at my table having read that HH don't you. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2005, 04:39 AM

ha ha. not really. it's just that at all of my tables there are 2 two guys that are always there. if you multitable like a madman you must be one of those guys.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:48 AM

Whenever I read responses like this I have to wonder if (s)he has noticed the size of the BB. Pushing right here is raising THIRTY TIMES THE BB! That's ridiculous! If the blinds were 50/100 or 75/150, then I understand the push with 10-15BBs. But not at the 15/30 level with 30BBs!
Old 10-23-2005, 08:04 AM

I always understood it as a general rule, if you are raising more than ~35% of your stack then you should instead push. Maybe pushing here is a little overkill but if the blinds were say 25/50, you'd need a raise of over t500 to get rid of people. Therefore, it should be a push.

Is this thinking sound?
Old 10-23-2005, 08:08 AM

Thats a good point. But I prefer to look at what I think the result of a push will be rather than having some set rules of what amout of BB's is accepted to push. If I had a read and felt confident I would get a call here I would push, no doubt. Also the amount of dead chips in the pot in relation to my stack comes into consideration. I do not advocate a push her, after all I didn't in the hand either. I tried to raise an amount that would get it HU. I raised a wooping 17 BB's here and got TWO callers, guess that doesn't exactly jive with your set amount of BB theory either. But I don't see the horror in a push that many of you do.

For example if you push AA preflop in a already raised pot in one of those 45 man 1.25$ SnG's in level one for example (75 BB's) you would be surprised how many times you would get the call and double up that you want.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:14 AM

If you are going to overraise push. You will be suprised what will call.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I knew my postflop play was real bad even before posting it. Classic "can't let go of big pocket pair syndrome".

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what i mean by playing superior postflop play and having an edge on your opponents in that regard. honestly, if you feel you don't have an edge on your opponents postflop, [and i think think my response is about to fall somewhere in the realm of game theory], then your best play probably would have been to push all-in instead and count on a dominated hand calling you.

i feel you will encounter more situations postflop [against players with weaker hands] where you can extract more chips than an all-in move [at least i do]. this move is best played out on Party where an $11 or $22 only has an t800 starting stack. i like the move alot better then. however, with t1500 on PS, i don't favor it.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:40 AM

Exactly.