Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Ingrown toenail

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is amazing how many people don't know how to cut their toenails.

Although most of us learn how after we get an ingrown toenail and google it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because most people were never Marines. One useful thing youn learn is how to take care of your damn feet!

[/ QUOTE ]

That brings the total number of reasons for joining the marines up to:

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thney usually just remove the part of the toenail thats growing into the toe. It's pretty simple. Takes like 10 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

But isn't needed if it isn't bad enough. You can roll up a small portion of a cotton bud and use it to seperate it from the nearby skin to get it to grow over instead of into it. If he wants to fix it himself webmd etc have plenty of information but he is definitely better going to a doctor if it does need to be cut.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I had one once that hurt like a mother. I didn't do anything about it for a long time. Then I finally went to the doc and he rectified it with what turned out to be a completely painless procedure. Ohhhh, the sweet relief. I kicked myself for not going sooner. Came back once a few years later. I went back in and had it fixed again, and haven't had a problem since.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...what was the procedure? That left toe has been killing me for months now. First it was the left part of my toe, and now it's the right. Somehow the left side got better, but I'm not exactly sure how.

I'm trying to avoid a doctor's visit, considering I don't yet have medical insurance (starting a new job on Saturday, but didn't stay more than the required 6 months at my last one). :/

[/ QUOTE ]
As stabn or someone said, it depends how bad it is, but mine was pretty bad (red and puss-y*). He gave my toe a shot of novacaine, then cut the whole side of the nail off all the way down. Didn't feel a thing.

*How do you spell this? As in "having lots of puss?"
Old 09-08-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone had one of these before? I have one on my left big toe, and it's been around for at least a couple months now. I'm keeping it clean, and it'll get better for a couple weeks, but then come right on back. Any suggestions on how to take care of this damn thing?

I don't really want surgery either. :/

[/ QUOTE ]
You better get this thing taken care of. I know a girl who just almost lost her big toe to an ingrown nail. In the end, she didn't have to get it amputated, but she lost the nail and was in a cast-like thing for a month+.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:46 PM

Listen, I've had this and unless your toe needs amputation this is how to get rid of it. Take some cotton from a cotton ball or even a q-tip and roll it up into loose little balls and stuff it under the toenail by the impaction. Repeat until enough cotton is forcing the nail up a bit. This causes the nail to grow out from the side of your toe and provides great relief while doing so, you'll see. Just make sure to remove the cotton daily as it will get [censored] rank if you leave it in there. My doctor showed me this when I was about 14, worked like a charm.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I had one once that hurt like a mother. I didn't do anything about it for a long time. Then I finally went to the doc and he rectified it with what turned out to be a completely painless procedure. Ohhhh, the sweet relief. I kicked myself for not going sooner. Came back once a few years later. I went back in and had it fixed again, and haven't had a problem since.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...what was the procedure? That left toe has been killing me for months now. First it was the left part of my toe, and now it's the right. Somehow the left side got better, but I'm not exactly sure how.

I'm trying to avoid a doctor's visit, considering I don't yet have medical insurance (starting a new job on Saturday, but didn't stay more than the required 6 months at my last one). :/

[/ QUOTE ]
As stabn or someone said, it depends how bad it is, but mine was pretty bad (red and puss-y*). He gave my toe a shot of novacaine, then cut the whole side of the nail off all the way down. Didn't feel a thing.

*How do you spell this? As in "having lots of puss?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I fixed mine myself and it was red and swollen on the side and had plenty of pus. I think mine was pretty borderline as to whether or not i should have gone to the doctor to get it fixed. I had a sharp edge that i think contributed to it digging into the side of my toe and really irritating the skin long before it really dug into it to the point that you would usually get pus. This made it a lot easier to fix on my own than most seriously inflamed ingrown toe nails (btw pus filled on inflamed).
Old 09-08-2005, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fixed mine myself and it was red and swollen on the side and had plenty of pus. I think mine was pretty borderline as to whether or not i should have gone to the doctor to get it fixed. I had a sharp edge that i think contributed to it digging into the side of my toe and really irritating the skin long before it really dug into it to the point that you would usually get pus. This made it a lot easier to fix on my own than most seriously inflamed ingrown toe nails (btw pus filled on inflamed).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly the situation that can be fixed with the solution I described above. Inflamed, puss-filled, irritating, stinky, sore, cracked-skin. I never want to have it again for sure.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly the situation that can be fixed with the solution I described above. Inflamed, puss-filled, irritating, stinky, sore, cracked-skin. I never want to have it again for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it sucks, but maybe you missed this:

Where i describe the same thing briefly
Old 09-08-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone had one of these before? I have one on my left big toe, and it's been around for at least a couple months now. I'm keeping it clean, and it'll get better for a couple weeks, but then come right on back. Any suggestions on how to take care of this damn thing?

I don't really want surgery either. :/

[/ QUOTE ]

Need pics please.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know a girl who just almost lost her big toe to an ingrown nail. In the end, she didn't have to get it amputated, but she lost the nail and was in a cast-like thing for a month+.

[/ QUOTE ]

what kind of skank would let a nail get so bad?

you have filthy friends