Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 07:17 AM

Default HUD

Hey everyone, happy thanksgiving to all who choose to celebrate, for everyone else, Happy Thursday!

Now to business, I have heard that HUD displays are not the same as a "read" on a player. This seems counterintuitive to say the least. Why is it that one should not consider HUD stats to be reads?

Is it the limited sample size?

Thanks all,

Cambraceres
Old 11-24-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: HUD

[ QUOTE ]
Now to business, I have heard that HUD displays are not the same as a "read" on a player. This seems counterintuitive to say the least. Why is it that one should not consider HUD stats to be reads?

[/ QUOTE ]

The numbers aren't a read because they only tell you part of the story. Sure, if your opponents VP$IP and PFR are 80/32 or 10/3, that can help you gauge what a pre-flop raise might mean (not much in the first case, and a whole lot in the second), but if someone's at 30/12, you don't really know what extra hands they're playing to get there just based on the numbers. Are they just completely ignoring position? Will they play any two suited? Any connectors? Only observing what they show down can help you with that.

Also, post-flop aggression numbers are nowhere near as useful as noting what they bet/call/raise with. Some players will bluff with a turn bet on a scare card. Some players will cap the flop with 2nd pair. Some players pump their flush draws on the flop while others just check them down. Other players will just call down with a set of aces. To play these players optimally, you need to know these tendencies. The only way to get that information is to pay attention and take note of anything you think is odd. Most sites allow you to keep notes on players -- take full advantage of this feature.

For some of the stats, especially things like WTSD and W$SD, sample size will also be an issue.

I'm still struggling to get good reads, but when I do, I find it really helps me against a player.