Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 08:19 PM

Default 20/40 Party - Awkward KK situation

This one has stayed on my mind for some reason. I've been at the table less than two orbits- playing very uneven. I just had KK on the button and 3-bet a limper, raiser, coldcaller. Everybody (including one of the blinds) calls. Flop is A 7 2 (two spades), raiser bets, folded to me, I raise, call his 3-bet, and then fold to his turn bet.

A few hands later, I get KK again and open-raise from UTG+1. Poster in cutoff calls, as do both blinds. Flop is rainbow A 9 7. Same villain, in the BB this hand, bets. I decide to look him up this time. I call, cutoff calls. Shortstacked SB check-raises all in for $39. Big Blind makes it $59. I fold. Cutoff folds. SB flopped bottom pair with 76, BB takes the pot with Q9o, yada yada yada.

My question isn't what I should have done (though I'm open to all advice), but whether the BB's play here is surgical aggression or maniacal spewing. Does anyone here make these kind of moves?
Old 06-22-2005, 08:35 PM

Default Re: 20/40 Party - Awkward KK situation

Hmm.. I kind of like BB's play on the second hand. It's entirely possible that he's just a maniac (what were his numbers for the session?), but I like his line here given your play on the first hand. It would also depend on what SB could be on here of course, but (if we're respecting BB), it looks like his read of SB's all-in last ditch raise was good too.
Maybe I'm a maniac too..
Old 06-23-2005, 08:39 AM

Yeah, after my initial shock/outrage, I was kind of impressed with the play also, which is why I asked about it. It's certainly a move I could never imagine making. But upon further scrutiny, I'm not so sure it's a good play (a lot of variables need to line up for it to work).

And I'm kind of kicking myself for not taking a few seconds to sniff it out (maybe if I weren't multi-tabling, I would have)- on a dry flop like that, what does he need to play so fast? I only have 42 hands of stats on him at 54/16/1.93. But I think he was just a lucky LAG.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:15 AM

i like to fire back agressively pre-flop and post flop. You need to re-raise him (especially if hes agressive) to islolate and see where he is. If he then pushes back on the turn, you can fold your hand and sleep at night.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:35 PM

22nd hand. Does BB have any reason to think his 9 is not good? He can raise again to protect his hand, just as he did. Looks like pretty good play to me.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:07 PM

It seems I might be in the minority, but I'd have to go with maniacal aggression. Don't know how can't at least consider someone for an A with the raise PF and the check raise post flop, but even if he didn't he only has one way to win this pot given the all-in and thats by showing the best hand. I can understand attempting to isolate, knowing you have to show the best hand is this the place pull this move?

P.S. I've read unregistered for while...but just became official..love your guys' posts on here.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
22nd hand. Does BB have any reason to think his 9 is not good?

[/ QUOTE ]

He should. There were two flop calls (one by an early position raiser who could easily be waiting for the turn to pop it with a big ace) and then a check raise, on a relatively drawless ace high flop. Hard to believe Q9 is ahead here.

BTW, I think I agree with the reply that suggested raising the flop.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:50 PM

I would expect any A to raise this flop - people call with all sorts of crap they shouldnt.