Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2005, 02:51 AM

Default good ole QQ at $5-5

Played the $5-5 NL at Oceans 11 for the first time in about four months. They have upped the max buyin from $300-500.
Three tables, must move.
I just got moved to the 2nd table recently from a great first table. I have around $300, maybe a tiny bit less.
8 or 9 handed.
UTG limps, UTG+2 has around $1,200, appears good from what I can tell..not a crazy loose player, but knows what he is doing. doesn't appear to be trying to run over the table.

He makes it $25. I am in the cutoff and make it $85. I already read him for strength, but not sure how strong.
UTG flat calls with about $400..what? Makes no sense except maybe with AK, but i don't read him for that, can tell he is just bad.

UTG+2 doesn't take long and pushes in.
What is your play and why?
Old 01-29-2005, 02:55 AM

Default Re: good ole QQ at $5-5

[ QUOTE ]
What is your play and why?

[/ QUOTE ]
I fold...

[ QUOTE ]
UTG+2 has around $1,200, appears good from what I can tell..not a crazy loose player, but knows what he is doing. doesn't appear to be trying to run over the table.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-29-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Results

I threw it away. I didn't see him making that play with AK (thought he'd call), really didn't see it with JJ either as I had to have a big hand.
The flat caller actually called the allin.
I asked the raiser if he had AA or KK, he shook his head no, i felt sick.

Everything came small, he flips over QQ. So we both had QQ, pretty amazing. I still think it was the right play. I don't really like his play, but he had a ton of chips.
The other guy had JTs. Yes, he got allin preflop for $400 in a 5-5 game with JTs.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG+2 has around $1,200, appears good from what I can tell..not a crazy loose player

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you raise this guy w QQ?
Old 01-29-2005, 12:37 PM

I'm not saying I am right here, from his initial raise I put him on AA-TT, AK, maybe AQ.
If he flat calls my raise I can get rid of AA, KK.
But I had decided if he played back, I would almost definitely fold..not saying that is right, just going through my thought process.
Also felt that if I just flat called, I really wouldn't be sure where I was at on a low flop.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
UTG+2 has around $1,200, appears good from what I can tell..not a crazy loose player

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you raise this guy w QQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why Not?
Old 01-29-2005, 01:53 PM

A raise from a solid player up front in a tougher game generally means AA-JJ or AK - How does QQ look against that range? OK at best. I'd like to see a flop - it's not a tournament.

Do you want to get it all in preflop against this guy here? I don't, so why give him a chance to put me to the test here, when I'll have position throughout the hand, and can make much better decisions as the action develops in front of me.

There are times when it's not a bad move, I just don't love it against this guy here. In general I just read lots of posts on here where the amount of preflop reraising is disturbing. People almost seem to lump QQ in with AA/KK and this is a mistake.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong
Old 01-29-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to point something out, your stack size is the perfect size for him to trap you with AA, be it by just putting you all in on any flop or check-raising you all in. A good player with a good sense of the game could easily do this, so just because he doesn't reraise preflop, don't assume he doesn't have AA/KK, I've been tricked numerous times by moves like this.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:24 PM

etiz you beat me to it.