Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2004, 01:58 PM

Default Protecting Queens

First, he probably should have respected your raise more given you were UTG+1 and that you would have position on him for the rest of the hand. But, most pros believe than can outplay amateurs post-flop, so he could be biased to call.

On the raise, he was getting 1.8-to-1, and if he assumes that the UTG will call then it's 2.35-to-1. The raise wasn't that much protection. Of course, if you already had established your multiple, you don't want to give too much information away by altering your raise size.

Overall, I think it's safe to classify it as a bad beat. But, I don't think it's necessarily terrible for a pro to flat call with those odds when he assumes that he will outplay the amateur post-flop.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Tourney report/some hands from the Legends of Poker $330NL at the Bike

[ QUOTE ]
Your analysis of the hands seems fairly logical; I don't have anything to add to that.

However, I'd strongly recommend you avoid engaging in discussions criticizing other players' hands. It's only going to lead to bad things - things around you will get much more unpredictable.

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify, I was referring to these kinds of discussions at the table. It seems like you were very chatty re: other players decisions, which, to me at least, seems like not the wisest of moves. JMVHO.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Protecting Queens

Remember there was a flat caller in the middle also who easily could have a better ace.
I actually had only raised once before, and that was on the button after two limpers. And my hand wasn't shown, but was known not to be AA, KK or AK.

I agree pros think they can outplay players. I know I can outplay a lot of players postflop. But, when after your call you have slight more in your stack than what is in the pot, that is not such a situation. You outplay people when there are deep stacks.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Tourney report/some hands from the Legends of Poker $330NL at the Bike

I do overall agree. That is why I where earbuds to keep me from chatting.
I had not discussed any other players decisions to that point, only that it was bad form to ask to see my hand.
All I actualy said to Minh was that I was surprised he called with that hand and that was after he said he couldn't put me on a big hand. I was actually trying to see if he could give a justification, maybe I would learn something. And I was also trying to keep him out of my pots since he was considered the best player there..although after this play, I didn't really think so.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:29 PM

Nobody has given good reasoning yet.
Especially with there being a flat caller, he really can't expect if an A flops that he is ahead, nor if it is 9 high that he is ahead.
He has 25x the BB, so he is not in a desparate situation.
When you are a top player, your chips are so valuable to you, you don't want to waste them, like a call here.

I think he should be throwing away AJ here, maybe even AQ (depending how tight you consider the raiser).

He is getting ok odds if deep stacks. Odds become a bit different when you are a medium stack as it is so tough to play postflop..ie he got what looked like a great flop and was very far behind. He had five outs, but I'd guess the first flat caller had an A as well.