Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 05:49 AM

Default Program to analyze flops vs opponents hand ranges?

I wonder if there is any program out there that lets you specify hand ranges for any number of opponents, specify the board cards and receive the percentage of time that one of the opponents holds top pair/two pair/flush draw etc?

I looked at Poker Acedamy Pro, which had functionality like this. It seems like you can't specify the exact range of the opponents holdings, only a general tightness/looseness before the flop. It would be good to be able to specify exact ranges to specify what an opponent might be holding on turn after betting/calling. Anyone knows of a program that lets you do this?

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2005, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Program to analyze flops vs opponents hand ranges?

I think you're looking for pokerstove, google will get u there.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:52 AM

Poker Calc 1.1.4.1 & PokerStove both do this. I don't know if you are planning to use a program for offline study or for on-the-fly odds calculations during play, but here's some advice:

You'll want to rely most on the software you were born with, however - your brain.

Visit the probability forums and learn how to do the math to figure out the different situations. It's time consuming, but worth it.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:48 AM

Thank you for the answers. I have already tried both pokerstove and pokercalc. Thay are nice, but they only give you the percentage of time that each of the players win. What I am looking for is a program that works in the same way with hand ranges but give you statistics of what the opponents holdings have developed to after the flop; How often does one of the opponents hold a flush draw, how often does one of them hold two pair etc.

I am not planning on using it while I'm playing, only for studying. Want to study some situations against opponents with different opening requirements on different flops to get a better feel for hand strength and risk of being outdrawn in different spots. Doing these kind of calculations by hand for different hand ranges would take very long time [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] .
Old 08-16-2005, 11:43 PM

Have you looked at Poker Inspector?
Old 08-18-2005, 07:35 PM

No, I haven't, but I checked it out now. Don't think it really does what I want. It seems like you can specify your own hole cards and get stats on how often you will hit different hands. What I'm looking for is a program that gives you stats for the opponents holdings after you have specified the board cards and hand ranges for the opponents.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:14 PM

Or you could just use your own brain and try to read their hands - right??
Old 08-19-2005, 05:55 AM

But my brain is old and spongy!

Seriously though, to be able to input their hand ranges I must already have made a read on them. What I would like is a program that can give me some odds based on those reads and the board cards. I'm not talking about something to use during gameplay here, just something to use for learning a la pokerstove/pokercalc, but with a little more info.

I guess a lot of players have made simple calculations by hand, such as "My two opponents are likely holding any two broadways or a small pair. On a K82 flop, what percentage of time have either of them hit the king or trips?". Making calculations as this is tedious and with wider hand ranges, more opponents and more possible made hands it becomes extremely painful. It would not be too difficult to implement these kind of stats in a program like pokerstove/pokercalc though. I guess it just not has been done by anyone yet [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2005, 11:47 AM

I want software like this too. Wilson can do this to some extent but its not designed for it so its not simple to do and only for a few hand types.

In my dreams I could then take it further by narrowing this hand range due to rules to represent different action on the flop (removing hands that would have folded), adding a turn card and getting another set of stats. I did start thinking about programming my own and if you wait another few years when I get around to learning how to do that we'll both be sorted.

The sad thing is I'm sure it would be easy to extend poker calculator to do the flop hands. Oh well, perhaps it's better I spend less time analyzing numbers anyway.

James
Old 08-19-2005, 06:25 PM

Default fff

Have you tried www.calculatem.com?

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]