Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 04:57 AM

Default AKo 15-30 essay question

great live game. i raise w/ AKo utg, 4 people cold call, sb calls, bb folds, 6 of us.

flop is 653 rainbow. sb checks, i bet, next guy goes all in for one chip. next guy who is better than most of the players but that's not saying much, raises, others fold. he can have a lot of different hands. what do i do for the rest of the hand and why?
Old 06-23-2005, 06:20 AM

Default Re: AKo 15-30 essay question

With six players here, I think this is an easy check with a view to fold on the flop. If it's bet early and folded back to you, maybe call a bet to see how this develops.

lars
Old 06-23-2005, 07:21 AM

Not sure Lars got the hang of that...

Anyway, you have the overcard draw which may or may not be good - let's say it's 80% good - which means you have 15 (or near enough):1 back to you, so easy call at least. He could be isolating in which can you could reraise and see if he folds it. If he caps you could check-fold the turn but again it depends on how aggressive this guy is. Otherwise with an unknown I'd be seeing it to the river (but whether or not I called down unimproved would depend on whether villain was 30% or 70% VPIP, and whether he capped the flop, I know it's live but you get the idea).

If you only call the flop raise you could always (would that be gay?) bet the turn to test his hand again. Again, lots of 'it depends' whether he's a habitual bluffer, aggressive, whether you have the image etc etc
Old 06-23-2005, 08:06 AM

I check fold the flop.

You have nothing, possible reverse domination, possible suckout on the river if you do improve on the turn.

Possibly drawing dead as well.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:21 AM

i think you call it down for two more bets and fold if someone else re-raises. You are getting good odds but you are also out of position so a raise on the flop MUST be followed by a bet on the turn. now it gets expensive. I dont like raising the flop and then checking the turn expecting to fold if bet into.....a good player will smell weakness and bet into you on the turn if you check,
Old 06-23-2005, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
great live game. i raise w/ AKo utg, 4 people cold call, sb calls, bb folds, 6 of us.

flop is 653 rainbow. sb checks, i bet, next guy goes all in for one chip. next guy who is better than most of the players but that's not saying much, raises, others fold. he can have a lot of different hands. what do i do for the rest of the hand and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

you said the guy is better than most. that he can have a lot of different hands here. that is clearly a sign that he might be trying to clean up his A/K/Q/J/T (almost all big suited cards are great in this game...or any pair, or any suited connectors which can now draw to pair) outs or he has a small pair, he'd likely wait for th eturn to raise a set.

i take the call. bet the turn or call check the turn depending on what the turn card is and how he reacts to it. chips in hand ready to bet though.

but i gotta tell ya since its 15sbs in the pot, you're line isn't going to matter all that much as long as you get to the showdown. the only way it matters is if he'll fold. i've been told these guys dont fold so let him bet.

-Barron
Old 06-23-2005, 01:21 PM

waiting to raise a set on that board would be incorrect.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
next guy who is better than most of the players but that's not saying much, raises,

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds a bit like me. If lots of the hands have been going this way PF, I, er he could have a set since he knows enough not to coldcall w/ 66, 55, 33 w/o expectation of lots of callers. When I played 15HE at HP last month, the game seemed right for PPs from any position, maybe not for a raise though.

Most likely though he's playing 88-JJ and you have at least got odds to see the river. A passive line is advised, I think, since the one chipper is likely to have a pair.

Call the raise and turn and see if the hand looks better later.

PT
Old 06-23-2005, 04:38 PM

Default what i did:

653 flop. i bet the flop as you know and was raised by the guy after the other fellow went all in.

then it was folded back to me and i called. the pot was getting pretty big. the turn was an 8. i checked and called again.

the river was a 7. i checked and folded.

the person sweating me said i was dumb and just threw $60 away for no reason.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:06 PM

If my math is correct you're getting 8.5:1.5 to see the river here. I don't think there is any bluffing equity, as you're likely behind, and there's an all in player who probably has at least a pair. I think this is an easy c/c to the river, and fold if you don't improve.

lf