Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 03:02 AM

Default ($15/1)Stars Turbo Very Unsure of my line

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) converter

BB (t1250)
Hero (t4165)
MP (t5130)
Button (t1615)
SB (t1340)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, MP calls t600, Button calls t600, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t2025) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1200</font>, MP calls t1200, Button folds.

Turn: (t4425) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero Checks, MP bets t1800, Hero raises 565 to 2365 and is all-in, MP calls t565

Final Pot: t4425

I totally wussed out on the turn after he called the flop bet and was lost.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:28 AM

Default Re: ($15/1)Stars Turbo Very Unsure of my line

Your raise preflop is a little big. I usually go for t400 at this level.

Played as you did, I probably try to checkraise push the flop.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Played as you did, I probably try to checkraise push the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop I usually bet 450 there.

The checkraise sounds good if you are fairly sure he'll bet the flop for you. I probably lead out on the flop more often than trying for the checkraise - depends on what I think villian will do.

The turn, I think you have to fold when he bets there. He isnt folding to your all in and he's probably ahead of you at that point. If you were going to go all in, it would have been much better to do it before he bet the turn.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:03 AM

yeah he had 99 so it worked out but I felt the allin was incorrect

About the turn.. I checked it which forces him to bet. Should I of bet out the turn again? If so how much?
Old 11-19-2005, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah he had 99 so it worked out but I felt the allin was incorrect

About the turn.. I checked it which forces him to bet. Should I of bet out the turn again? If so how much?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know if Im putting any more chips in the pot after that turn card or not. If I do, all of them will go in and I will be the first one in with them. With the pot that big in relation to the stacks, the only bet you should make is all in - in my opinion.

Think about how you are going to play the hand if villian bets before you check the turn. Either you think your hand is good (I'd push if thats what I thought) or you think it isnt (then Im done putting money in the pot). There was no way he was folding when you checkraised because he was pot committed. Im not checkraising there unless I have a much stronger hand than what you had.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:10 AM

Does no one else think the 1/2 pot bet on the flop is a little low?
Old 11-19-2005, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I usually go for 3xBB (450) at this level, but don't see anything wrong with 4xBB. A coupel considerations would be that hero has a big stack and that the chip leader is next to act.

Anyway, I have seen a number of posts recently that have suggested a different PF raise. Most of them sugesting a slight difference: 3x instead of 4x (as here), or 2.5x-3x instead of 5x in the early levels. Do you really think it makes much difference?
Old 11-19-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know if Im putting any more chips in the pot after that turn card or not. If I do, all of them will go in and I will be the first one in with them. With the pot that big in relation to the stacks, the only bet you should make is all in - in my opinion.

Think about how you are going to play the hand if villian bets before you check the turn. Either you think your hand is good (I'd push if thats what I thought) or you think it isnt (then Im done putting money in the pot). There was no way he was folding when you checkraised because he was pot committed. Im not checkraising there unless I have a much stronger hand than what you had.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-19-2005, 04:14 PM

I play it the same preflop and jam the flop. Yeah it seems like a donkish line, but it saves you from some awful turn spots, and in a 15 you get all sorts of loose calls here, more than enough to offset the times when you push into a monster. Going for a check raise is ok if you are certain someone will stab, but giving a free card here would be a disaster.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:03 PM

You have 2 plays post flop and either can be played here

Push all-in as a pot bet is about half your stack.

Check raise all-in on the flop. As The Button called for half his stack and they would surely push all-in to 2 checks in front of him.

Also as the big stack is still in the pot and you are out of position the check raise would also give you a chance to get away from it with your stack in tact.

Side note as it played the button should have gone in as well give his chance to triple his stack. If he had a hand to call pre-flop he had a hand to call post flop.