Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 04:32 PM

Default What About Barry?

I read Barry Greenstein's web site and thought it was an interesting read, but what about his book. He wrote "An ace on the river", has anyone read it? What did you think of it? Do you recommend reading it?

Thanks
Scott
Old 10-06-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: What About Barry?

I read it, it's a decent book, but don't expect to learn much from it. It's more of an entertaining read than anything else, and I think the book is geared more towards mid-high stakes B&M limit players, $20/40 live or bigger.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:40 PM

Books/Publications forum

Do a search.

There are many reviews and arguments regarding this book in an extremely long thread.

I tend to agree with the first responder in this thread.
But there are MANY 2+2'ers who believe it will revolutionize your game and is one of the best books they have EVER read.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:43 PM

Thanks. I did try to look for a book forum but I see now I went down to far to "Other Topics" Thank for pointing out my error.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:05 PM

I have read the book, and while the content that is there is very very good, there is an amazing amount of filler and pretty pictures that I could do without. If he would have focused more on actual play it would have been a much better book, IMO.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:24 PM

I finished reading the book last weekend.

it's not really meant to be an instructional book (though there is a light amount of poker playing content towards the end). the majority of content is related to a pro player's "lifestyle", philosophy and psychology. however, many of the chapters IMO are too short and underdeveloped, so while you may be enlightened to some new concepts, you may not learn enough about them to change your game.

I applaud Barry's effort of writing a poker book which is truly unlike any other one on the market right now. however, the true monetary value of the information in terms of making yourself a better (read: more profitable) poker player is certainly debatable.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:47 PM

There exists very few poker books that are not of some value. One worthwhile idea is worth the cover price plus ???
Old 10-06-2005, 09:52 PM

It's a good book, and well worth the money but I wouldn't read it until you have read all the strategy books you feel you need to.

A lot of the great concepts in it are pretty widely known here, so that does lower the value a bit, but I found it well worth the 25.