Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 08:12 AM

Default Wired Kings, time to fold?

Take a look at the play on this hand please. I did not raise preflop because this tends to make table go wild and cap every bet. To be honest I was getting great cards this morning and getting drawn out and I was sick and tired of it. No raise would have folded anyone who was planning to play thier hand.

Villian was ahead of me with his QT at the flop. He played me well.

Should I have detected this train wreck coming at me? When the board paired I knew that like always someone had a T. Should I have checked the turn? I didn't because I figured that if I checked then it would allow someone to represent the T and I figured I should be the one showing strength. I would have called a raise and bet/fold the river.

Do you agree with my river call?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (7.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Button calls, BB calls.

River: (13.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 20.25 BB

I am going back to bed now.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Wired Kings, time to fold?

[ QUOTE ]
When the board paired I knew that like always someone had a T.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop being results oriented.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Take a look at the play on this hand please. I did not raise preflop because this tends to make table go wild and cap every bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is a bad thing?

[ QUOTE ]
When the board paired I knew that like always someone had a T.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you should have check/folded the turn.

Seriously, I think you played the hand fine except for the preflop limp which I think is absolutely horrible, especially at a loose and wild table, as you describe it. When he raises the river, it most likely means that you are beat, but the pot is big enough to call. He might have slowplayed QJ or something similar.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:39 AM

If you do not raise Kings preflop you LOSE money. End of story.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you do not raise Kings preflop you LOSE money. End of story.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right Slansky says to almost always to do this. I just wonder if SSHE is the correct text for internet micro limits. I read from SSHE most days as well as GSIH. They are my new and old testiments. I am a believer but I am having trouble following the commandments when I keep loosing money and hands. My faith is wavering. Fear not, I am not about to go to the dark side. I am still here and still trying to apply 2+2 theory to my game in a more perfect manner. Thanks for your assistance in this.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:39 AM

If you are convinced you are playing well, don't let results get into you. You'll have losing sessions that seem to go forever. But if you keep making decisions with positive expectation you are going to win.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:41 AM

Raise preflop and pray that somebody 3-bets so you can cap.

Bet the flop.

Bet the turn.

Bet the river. The raise is a crying call.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:43 AM

If you can't cap kings at a wild table preflop, you need to consider whether or not you should be playing poker. I don't need a book to tell me there's only one hand better than pocket kings.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:50 AM

Wow, great table!
Why didn`t you give button the chance to make a mistake preflop?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:57 AM

hey dude -
please don't take this in a bad way. you need to reconsider your fundamental understanding of poker.

1. raise KK preflop. if you walked away from this thread and always raise KK preflop in Party .5/1 games then we are one step closer to world peace.
2. you played this well postflop. if you lost, you lost. the biggest train wreck in this hand was not raising preflop. whatever. you know this now.

now. i feel the need to address your thought processes:
"I did not raise preflop because this tends to make table go wild and cap every bet."

this makes absolutely no sense. hey, i have the 2nd best possible hand. I KNOW the table will go nuts if i raise, but you know what, I don't really like money that much, so i won't raise.

"To be honest I was getting great cards this morning and getting drawn out and I was sick and tired of it."

You are not entitled to any pot, even if you have great cards.

"No raise would have folded anyone who was planning to play thier hand."

Do you see how backwards this is?

"Villian was ahead of me with his QT at the flop. He played me well."

Who cares? He should have raised the flop. He didn't play you well at all.

"Should I have detected this train wreck coming at me? "

So someone caught a boat vs your kings. How is that a train wreck? You should have lost more money on this hand. In fact, you lost like 4 BB. Move on and don't sweat the losses -- ESPECIALLY when someone flops a good made hand and turned a friggin BOAT!

"When the board paired I knew that like always someone had a T. "

Why? Because he did? This is so false, it is just, well, false.

"I would have called a raise and bet/fold the river."

this is bad. call the turn raise and check call the river. why would you bet into a raiser on the river only to fold to his raise?