Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 03:54 AM

Default weak-tight with QQ?

Second level of the Sunday night UB $215 multi just began. Blinds 10/20. Surprisingly few first level bustouts in this one so average is probably ~2700.

I rarely play multis here and have no relevant reads.

UTG limps (3090).
UTG+1 raises to 90 (2425).
Fold.
Call (4890).
Call (3050).
Fold.
CO calls (2545).
Fold.
I have Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the SB and call (2290).
BB folds.
UTG calls.

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (Pot=560)

I check, UTG checks, UTG+1 bets the pot, fold, fold, CO minraises, I fold.

Thoughts?

Later,
Che
Old 01-19-2005, 04:09 AM

Default Re: weak-tight with QQ?

Other than a set what do you fear? With that many calls one would surprise me and since you chose to play your queens for set value a fold might be ok. I think I would have lead out with a bet and see what happens.

I think I would have raised preflop. My thought is UTG and UTG+1 might have aces or kings but the later hands would be reraising with them. I would rather find out preflop rather than postflop. It is likely that a couple of the aces and kings are out so the odds of an over card flopping are reduced and there are probably some small pairs that you dominate and don't want to let them see a cheap flop.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:31 AM

i think this is extremely weak tight play. why not pop a big fat reraise preflop? thin the field, and see where u stand. i see no reason why not to think that u have the best hand here.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:27 AM

You simply have to reraise here preflop. I cant really tell if this is a play for deception or just weak passive. I understand that this is a deep stacked tourney and a decent buy in but you still hold the 3rd best hand in holdem...Protect it. JJ is a different story but the way some people overplay AQ nowadays you got to play QQ fairly strongly here IMHO/. Same story after the flop.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:24 PM

Default RESULTS

Thanks for all the replies.

UTG folded, UTG+1 pushed, CO called.

UTG+1 had AA and did not catch his 2-outer against CO's TT.

I think my flop check-fold is good. I would have come over the top of UTG+1 if it had been folded back to me, but I didn't want to take on two players on a multiway flop.

PF call is certainly questionable. I decided to play for set value and the results justified my conservative play, but that doesn't make not raising correct.

I posted this to get non-results-oriented evaluations, and I appreciate those who responded.

Later,
Che
Old 01-19-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

I am suprised you got away from this hand so cheaply!
With hindsight thats a very good play buttt
Why didnt you reraise preflop to say 300? Was it the limp from UTG? Limping UTG is standard preflop play hoping for the raise behind.. which UTG+1 provided. Otherwise I cant see the value you will get from going multiway with a high made pair. Cutting down the drawers seems logical here as your getting 6/1 pot odds on a 7.5/1 draw.
Would the pocket T's call a reraise? Some do some dont. Your in a bad state vs the pocket rockets and infact you would have lost the pot to them at some point in the hand but without raising how would you get the info he had anything?
Obviously you made a great decision I just dont understand how you came to it. I wish I could minimise my losses on hands like these.

Dawdy
Old 01-19-2005, 07:10 PM

i think not reraising preflop here is a mistake, but I'd like to be persuaded otherwise so have at it che.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:15 PM

MLG-

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to be persuaded otherwise so have at it che.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I'll have to persuade myself first so you may have to wait a while. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But, I do plan to mull over it a little more so let me ask you this before I get started: Do you raise JJ here?

Later,
Che
Old 01-19-2005, 07:18 PM

no, thats my cut off.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:14 PM

I probably reraise PF, but after the minraise that flop *sucks* for you.

(Yes, sucks. UB is full of mountains and they only get steeper as you move up. At that buyin, he sure as hell didn't cold call and then minraise KT, which leaves you with a)exactly JJ minraising *and* AK behind you or b)2 outs.)