Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 03:35 PM

Default AQo in BB in loose/passive game

Live 4/8.

5 limpers to button, who raises. SB folds. Hero is in BB with AQo.

Table is generally very loose, very passive. Averaging 6 or 7 to the flop, and I am providing probably 60-75% of all preflop raises. Button has only been at the table about 3 orbits, but this is his first PFR. He has been typical before this, calling down with J7 from MP on a KT7 board, for example.

Now, my question is should I fold, call or raise? I feel like folding is awful given the pot odds. The problem is I feel like his range has me pretty beat. My guess would be maybe JJ-AA, AK, AQ.

The next option, calling, means I'm playing a 7 way pot first to act with big offsuit cards.

Third option, raising, might clear out some of the donks, and leave me in a smaller pot. But then, I'm more isolated against the likely big hand. Also, getting capped is going to make me ill.

Thoughts?
Old 12-05-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: AQo in BB in loose/passive game

1 - Don't fold. Folding is bad, mmkay?
2 - Raising is ok. Not great, but just ok. You're probably bloating the pot with only a small advantage (if any - you may very well be behind Button if this is his first raise)
3 - Calling is good. Yes, you're first to act, but that's ok because you have the opportunity to check and let the button act first. This helps you protect your hand when you flop a pair, since you're now facing the field with 2 bets. [edit]You should also consider c/r if the flop leaves you with overcards[/edit]
Old 12-05-2005, 03:52 PM

I definitely would only raise to face all the limping doofuses with two cold, not because I feel like I'm ahead of button. But if I can fold, for example J9, an AJ9 flop is a lot better for me. I don't think raising would improve my chances vs button; rather it improves them vs the field.

Would you raise AQs here? I'm sure I would have without worrying about it (or posting). Do you think that's leaky?
Old 12-05-2005, 03:53 PM

loose/passive very rarely fold once they've put the first chips in. i call. OOP and offsuit when i have great position to c/r them if i hit a good flop is better IMO.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:39 PM

I take your point about the LPs not folding once the initial call is made, and I don't have the equity to just bloat the pot with everyone still in. I will be more cautious in this position.

OK, well, in the actual hand I raised, and actually folded four of the five limpers! I think some of them had never seen a 3bet before. The raiser just called.

We're now 3 to the flop. Flop is Q-3-3 rainbow. Lead out, as checking looks very suspicious after 3 bet, also raiser may not lead?

Assuming no resistance, bet, bet, bet?

What if I get resistance on a blank? On a king?
Old 12-05-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
loose/passive very rarely fold once they've put the first chips in. i call. OOP and offsuit when i have great position to c/r them if i hit a good flop is better IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-05-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is I feel like his range has me pretty beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

You still have 5 other limpers to help even out this disadvantge. With this much dead money in the pot, I think you definately have an equity advantage, so a fold is bad. AQs is a definate raise, as you have a great multiway hand with a lot of potential callers behind you. With AQo, you do have an advantage but it is less significant. I doubt I'm raising this.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:04 PM

I've come around on preflop and agree that with this type of game, calling is going to be more +EV than raising.

Does anyone have postflop comments?

I 3 bet, one limper calls, raiser calls. Flop is Q-3-3 rainbow.

Bet until resistance? Bet through resistance? Check, hope the raiser thinks I have AK and bets, then c/raise?