Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2005, 03:10 PM

Default How to deal with a loose passive...

Hypothetical situation

30 person home game with a $25 buy-in for T500.
Everyone gets one free re-buy for T500 more.
Three tables of ten people each to start.
You consider yourself to be in the top 25% of the people in the tourney.

Blinds are 5/10

This is the first hand of the tourney.

Hero is MP and dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Preflop: UTG folds, UTG1 folds, Hero raises (T40), MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds.

<font color="blue">Read on the Button is that they are someone you know to be a loose passive. They will chase any hand they think has a chance and only bet when they have a made hand. They will call on draws without any thought towards pot odds. They will fold a draw to an all-in, provided it is at least 3x the pot.</font>

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
Pot: (T95)

Hero bets (T80), Buttons calls.

<font color="blue">At this point, you know 100% that the button is on a flush draw</font>

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Pot: (T255)

Hero checks, Button raises all-in (T380), Hero ...?

<font color="blue">Button has his flush. What does Hero do here? He has 7 outs to the flush (13 in the deck - [1 in Hero's hand, 2 in Button's hand, 3 on the board]), plus 9 outs to a boat (3 Tens, 3 Sevens, 3 Twos), plus 1 out to quads (A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) for a total of 17 outs. There are 44 cards left in the deck, so Hero is getting 44:17 and the pot is 635 chips and you have 380 left, giving you 635:380 or 36:19.

Given Hero is getting 2:1 and needs to get 3:1, this is a clear fold?

Does the re-buy play into this that you can double up?

Should Hero have played the flop differently knowing they were up again a loose passive chaser?</font>
Old 01-21-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: How to deal with a loose passive...

Games like these arent easily read and even harder to play good poker in and come out a winner.
I think a situation like this has to be played from a game strategy position. By that I mean have you bought a rebuy, if so how many? How much are you willing to gamble? Are you a naturally aggressive player? Are these people friends or fish? Do you want the money or the social occassion?
To make money I would have raised more preflop and on the flop I would have put him all in. If he beats my trip Aces so be it. Ive got a rebuy. Play looser than usual and pick spots to raise it up big when you are ahead. Dont bluff. If noone understands your big raises you cant bluff.
To play it friendly I would have played the same preflop, checked the flop and turn and then seen where I was on the river and bet or check fold accordingly. Costing you little. Afterall you cant always win with Aces even heads up. Also play loose yourself, see many flops and take it from there. Dont bluff.

Dawdy