Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Top Pair Top Kicker in unraised pot

Very early in tourney, no relevent reads on opponents yet. Was this a bad raise, bad fold or did I play it right?

$5 Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (10 handed) converter

UTG+1 (t1850)
UTG+2 (t1440)
MP1 (t1460)
Hero (t1480)
MP3 (t1120)
CO (t1560)
Button (t1730)
SB (t1460)
BB (t1420)
UTG (t1480)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of t10.
dead$money calls t20, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls t20, Hero calls t20, MP3 folds, CO calls t20, Button folds, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t100) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t60</font>, BB calls t60, MP1 calls t60, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t340</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t1540</font>, SB calls t1380, dead$money folds, MP1 folds, Hero folds.

Also, if my fold is correct, should I call if CO pushes and it's folded back to me? I think I have a tougher decision there and may call.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Top Pair Top Kicker in unraised pot

i'd fold pre-flop. i'd play the flop the same, except i'd raise smaller - i'd make it 200 to go. folding to the raise is good. with 6 people in an unraised pot, it's very believable that somebody has a better hand.

if the SB folds, i might call the CO's push in a $5 MTT.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:06 PM

$5.50 'Stars tournaments. First two levels.

Do not get involved except with AKs, AJs, AQs, KQs, 99+ Except in late position, then open up to ATs, ATo, any two suited connectors down to 56. Never call a raise with suited connecting small cards unless it was a min-raise and there are bound to be 50 callers.

Call me weak-tight with some of those hands...but I'd rather not play my A9 to a raise and have A5 call me down and catch a 5. It has happened to frequently at the early levels to me.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:11 PM

Pre-Flop: Fold

Flop: Reraise t120-180 (t340 is a little over for pot of t220). Fold to CO's reraise and SB's smooth call (You are surely behind at least one of them). You would need to catch runner-runner for the backdoor nut flush.

My guess is that at least one of the villains flopped their set (CO w/ 88?). SB might have gap connectors for flush draw (Laggy gut shot straight?).

Good fold.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:27 PM

I call you weak tight.

Nothing wrong with trying to limp in in early rounds with some drawing type hands such as small-mid pps hoping to flop a monster. You just gotta be prepared to get away from it. You catch a set in a low-level tourney, and a guy with tptk migh just double your stack for you. And what's the risk early? 1-2% of your stack?

AT, of course, doesn't qualify.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:47 PM

AT is not great multi way at the best of times. In an unraised pot this hand has a huge risk and very few dream flops.
I would raise preflop, the amount is dependent on the table. Not sure what Id do if someone reraised me, Id have to consider what and how they had played previously. If its early in a torney its a fold. Later... who knows
Hitting top pair would make me bet it.
I agree folding to an all in and call but after your preflop raise would these players still be in the pot?

The Ah is a strong card with 2 h on the flop.. not just for the runner runner flush draw but also the flush bluff on 4th if its a heart.

Dawdy
Old 01-17-2005, 03:56 PM

Okay, I'll qualify what I meant.

When I say "get involved" I mean play with/making raises.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call me weak-tight with some of those hands...but I'd rather not play my A9 to a raise and have A5 call me down and catch a 5. It has happened to frequently at the early levels to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I personally wouldn't mind being in a pot with A9 vs. A5 just because they 'catch' their 5, doesn't mean it's a bad spot to be in.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:36 PM

Do not get involved except with AKs, AJs, AQs, KQs, 99+ Except in late position,

Horrible idea. I think the best way to double through in these lower buyins is too trap in raised pots with sets. Ill play my pp for almost 7% of my money everytime provided its gonna be multi way.(4 is nicer). I much rather play a PP early than KQ...in fact ill never play KQ after anything but a postion/mini raise early.