Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2005, 11:10 PM

Default Official Eagles vs Falcons thread

Eagles @ -1 looks like a lock for tomorrow night over mr. inconsistent M. Vick. I'm prolly gonna go all in again on this but first I'd like to hear your opinions on this.

Indy
Old 09-12-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Official Eagles vs Falcons thread

mr. inconsistent = sometimes dazzling. Gotta go with the home dog falcons.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:51 AM

To close to call. No good bets.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:20 AM

How big of an effect do you guys think the TO/McNabb contraversy will have on the Eagles passing game?

That and the fact its Falcons at home might make the game a little bleh. Still, with ATL losing Peerless Price and Eagles D in pretty good shape, I'm planning on betting the Eagles but I sure as hell wouldn't put my whole bankroll on it. But I'm a sportsbetting newbie so don't listen to me.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:29 AM

I wouldn't put EVERYTHING on it, just cause you never know what Vick might do, but I believe very strongly that Philly will win this game. Despite the controversy, T.O. and McNabb will perform, and the only real piece they're missing on D is Corey Simon. I think it'll be a replay of the NFC Championship game. Philly's D will probably be too much for Vick. They are really limited to the running game now without Peerless(who wasn't a real #1 starter anyway). If I had some money to bet on this game, I'd bet it on Philly.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:44 AM

i've got a large amount of money on the birds for the reasons listed in my thread.... lock it up
Old 09-12-2005, 09:51 AM

There you go with that word lock again. This game is far from a lock. This is a big revenge game for Atlanta and another home dog situation. Confucius say tread with caution.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:13 AM

Wait, you're using LOSING Peerless Price as a reason to bet against a team? Heh.

Anyway, I refuse to bet against teams I root for, meaning I'll be betting the exact same amount here that I bet in the NFC Championship game. $0.00

GOOOOOOO FALCONS!!!!
Old 09-12-2005, 10:21 AM

Eagles -- 386 Points Scored, 260 Points Allowed -- +126

Falcons -- 340 Points Scored, 337 Points Allowed -- +3

I think the Falcons' 11-5 record last year was bit of a mirage. Also note that the Eagles' 13-3, 126 point differential includes two games at the end of the season that they basically dumped by playing their backups. I feel very confident in the Eagles.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:23 AM

Here's my perpective (and I'm a BIG Falcons fan). I will not be betting on this so you can say this is somewhat objective (but I consider myself somewhat of an insider since I know the pretty much everything thats going on with the Falcons talent and mentality).

Vick has matchup problems. Certain teams just match up well against him -- mostly its teams that have fast D-Linemen and fast linebackers. Historically, Tampa Bay has given him the most trouble (although he beat them last year at home). I believe, although I'm not quite sure, that the Eagles pose this type of matchup problem for Vick (don't read too much into the NFC championship game -- in fact ignore it -- because of the weather, home field and the turf). The loss of Corey Simon hurts them a little bit. But I would not expect a huge game from Vick tonight, either passing or running -- although, he may win the game for the Falcons in the 4th quarter. Bottom line is: don't expect Vick to win your bet for you and have the type of game he's capable of having (ala St. Louis Rams playoff game last year). However, with that said, Vick is a "spotlight" type of guy and the lights on Monday night may help him have a big game -- just don't count on it.

Vick is only one piece of the puzzle however. To me, if he takes care of the ball tonight, the Falcons should be a slight favorite. The main reason is that the this is possibly the most hyped game in Atlanta sports history (other than possibly the 95 Braves World Series games). Tickets are impossible to come by -- people are getting premium prices for their tickets. (Luckily, I have season tickets so I'm good to go). Where I think the Falcons are underestimated is their defense. Everybody talks about the signing of Ed Hartwell. He's a huge improvement over Chris Draft, but he's not the whole story. They have Keion Carpenter returning at safety, where he is replacing Corey Hall (who we call Broom with Stick). This is a huge improvement. Carpenter is no Dawkins, but he's a huge improvement for the Falcons. They also are healthy at CB (which they weren't in the NFC championship game). But most important and widely ignored is their strong side linebacker spot. This year Demorrio Williams will be starting in place of Matt Stewart and Ike Reese will be playing in this spot as well. Both of these players were absolute machines in preseason. Along with Hartwell and Brooking (on the weak side), this linebacker corp might be one of the best in football and I expect them to have a huge game.

Bottom line: I don't see huge numbers from the Falcons offense, but if theycan avoid turnovers and avoid big plays from Westbrook and TO, I think the Falcons pull it off.

If I had to bet on this game, its clear I'd take the UNDER.